To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Seattle, WA 98134
- Christina Newman
- Phone: 770-416-7949
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Principal retail network engineer - Seattle
MDI Group • Seattle, WA
Posted 27 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Principal retail network engineer
Job Summary and Mission
The Network Engineer Principal position leads network design and planning as well as directing and developing the direction of network operations activities. The engineer in this position is expected to combine rich and diverse networking experience with a comprehensive understanding of current networking trends to chart the course of network architecture for Starbucks. This role independently manages projects and provides supervision of peer projects to both build out and lifecycle network infrastructure.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Research, Design, and Engineering
• Leads long term network architecture planning for services across the network portfolio.
• Directs short and long term planning to meet network requirements.
• Directs efforts to establish and review network architecture, standards, and best practices for network design and implementation.
• Analyzes capacity issues and develops capacity planning models.
• Ensures regular planned maintenance and testing activities are executed. Ensures network infrastructure is fully compliant with security guidelines.
• Anticipate changes and issues with existing network services to proactively architect and design solutions before they impact services.
• Coordinates and develops network reference architectures.
• Researches and develops the engineering for new network services.
• Leads the development and maintenance of the network's architectural roadmap
• Attends professional conferences and seminars.
• Presents technical briefings.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
• Cross training of peers, fellow team members, and possibly junior level technicians.
Monitoring and Analysis
• Monitor network usage, anticipate problems and suggest solution.
• Identifies and defines needs of network management tools and design and implement systems accordingly.
• Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors.
• Reporting network operational status by gathering and prioritizing data.
Incident Escalation and Troubleshooting
• Asses data to lead analysis and root cause investigation of outages.
• Provide Tier III and IV escalation support of network service incidents to diagnose problems and resolve time-critical issues
• Take part in 24-7 on call rotation
• Documents architectures, processes, as-builts, projects, standards, and root cause analyses both in text and diagram
network engineer principal form.
• Leads the formulation and implementation of installation standards and procedures.
• Evaluates services provided by vendors and recommends changes.
• Independently manages projects and provides supervision of peer projects.
Subject Matter Expertise
• Demonstrates deep dive knowledge of four or more subject matter area
• Effectively uses scripts for network operations
• Develops and writes software utilized for network operations and service
• Directs software development projects.
Summary of Experience
13+ years of relevant experience
• Full-time experience with medium to large scale enterprise networks including data center networks (10 yrs)
• IT customer support and service (10 yrs)
Routing and Switching
• Experience with at least two networking vendors (including Cisco) across their routing and switching portfolios. (7+
• Experience with TCP/IP, routing/switching concepts, and common routing protocols.
Security Service Technology
• Firewall experience including TCP/IP filtering, NAT, and statefull inspection (8+ yrs)
• Experience with IDS/IPS technologies (3 yrs)
Load Balancing and Proxy Services
• DNS and DHCP administration (8+ yrs)
Virtualization and Server Platform
• Familiarity with network, server, storage virtualization, i.e. MDS switching infrastructure, VSAN, VRF, VPN, and
VMWare vSphere. (5+ yrs)
• Experience installing and configuring Linux or Windows servers and services. (5+ yrs)
Data Center (if applicable)
• Demonstrated experience in: data center network architecture and best practices (10+ yrs)
• Experience with Cisco enterprise data center products to include: Nexus 7000, 5000 (1-2) yrs
JSON or XML, Perl, C/C++, and/or UNIX shell scripting. (8+ yrs)
Network Management and Monitoring Tools
• Network management tools (8+ yrs)
Education and Certification
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, or equivalent military experience in
network systems and technology
• CCNP or CCIE level certification
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Problem Solving and Network Troubleshooting
• Ability to apply both critical and systematic thinking to network incident resolution and root cause investigation
Routing and Switching
• Subject matter expertise in Cisco IOS with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers, switches and firewall
• Subject matter expertise in IOS, NX-OS, MPLS, BGP, GRE and OSPF.
• Subject matter expertise in WAN technologies including MPLS, circuiting, and commodity peering
Network performance Tuning
• Able to discern and correlate wide-ranging trends and patterns within and through the network.
• Able to implement network performance improvements based on understanding of network trends and patterns.
Network Design and Implementation
• Able to produce network architectures with emergent characteristics: predictability, scalability, and resiliency.
• Able to organize the complexity of multi-tired, multi-component network systems.
Network Hardware Configuration
• Able to build and maintain configuration templates guided by reference architectures and networking best practices.
Load Balancing and Proxy Services
• Ability to configure and support load balancers and proxy servers. Ability to integrate load balancers and proxy
servers into network architectures
• Verbal and written skills reflecting an ability to express oneself clearly and articulately. Fluency in technical terms
relevant to networking.
• Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences
• Ability to employ patience and empathy while dealing with conflict or differing viewpoints