Reports to the System Director of Tax / Tax Managers / Sales Tax Coordinator, and is responsible for performing a variety of state and local tax compliance duties, in accordance with general policies and procedures of the Accounting Department.
* Responsible for the preparation of state and local filings (such as income tax, sales and use tax, personal property tax, unclaimed property (escheats), and related filings). Perform analysis on data received to ensure completeness, consistency, and accuracy prior to completing / filing returns.
* Provide primary support for System Director of Tax / Tax Managers / Sales Tax Coordinator / Outside Consultants in related tax compliance and consulting matters.
* Act as liaison between outside consultants and internal Accounting and Patient Accounts teams on unclaimed property (escheatment) issues. Also, perform information gathering and analysis to assist with this process.
* Gather information, perform analysis and complete returns for insurance premium tax and federal excise tax purposes.
* Ability to engage peers and other appropriate individuals in gathering required information.
* Provide assistance to general accounting with the monthly close process.
* Provide back-up for other individuals in Tax Department, as needed.
* Other duties as assigned by System Director of Tax / Tax Managers / Sales Tax Coordinator.
* BS/BA in Accounting or Finance preferred
* Tax or accounting experience (tax compliance experience preferred -- prior experience working with healthcare system(s) that have mixture of tax-exempt and taxable corporate entities, in particular, is a definite plus).
* Ability to analyze, research and interpret tax issues, document and communicate findings.
* Must be self-motivated, capable of taking initiative, successfully handle and prioritize multiple competing priorities, and effectively manage deadlines.
* Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and have strong rapport with the executive team, colleagues, and subordinates.
* Strong communication skills with internal and external customer base.
* Solid business acumen.
* Previous work experience demonstrating knowledge of general policies and procedures followed in an accounting/tax department.
* Experience with advanced Excel spreadsheet tools preferred.
* Experience with Meditech accounting software is a plus.
C. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications
* None required (but CPA is a plus)