PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The purpose of the position is to support the Legal, Risk Management, and Corporate Compliance Department. The Paralegal will work directly to support BVHS’s commercial real estate, maintain conduct legal research, assist in risk assessments, and complete compliance monitoring as necessary.
- Duty 1: Manage BVHS’s commercial real estate, including management of the tenant selection process and drafting lease agreements, interpreting lease agreement provisions, collecting and reconciling commercial lease payments, active participation in or facilitation of BVHS condominium association meetings, and partnering with the BVHS Facility Services and Construction Departments in the maintenance of real estate.
- Duty 2: Assist the Director of Legal Services in support of the daily operations of the Legal, Risk Management, and Corporate Compliance Department, which includes responsibility for opening and maintaining files, preparation of legal documents, contracts, and commercial agreements, filings, registrations, pleadings and correspondence, communication with internal and external clients, case and calendar management. Additionally, prepare internal file documentation with a focus on the reduction of loss to the institution through incident investigation and review, development of investigation plans, in coordination with other hospital representatives, and preparation of risk management reports.
- Duty 3: Active participation in or facilitation of committees related to risk management and internal space planning.
- Duty 4: Coordinate market rent studies for non-employed physician leases, conduct market research and site evaluation for potential commercial real estate purchases in response to requests from operational leadership, and complete asset purchase agreements.
- Duty 5: Prepare presentations and/or proposals regarding real estate matters for the BVHS Board’s knowledge and approval for acquisition.
- Duty 6: Develop and maintain professional relationships with city and county officials to further BVHS’s business interests related to real estate management, including obtaining building licensures, zoning variances, and other real estate regulatory matters.
- Duty 7: Review and respond to incident reports, including assisting departments in the development of action plans to remediate identified gaps in performance as well as follow-through to ensure action items are completed in a timely manner.
- Duty 8: Analyze incident reports for data trending and reporting to operational departments, including serious safety event reports.
- Duty 9: Perform monitoring in accordance with the annual BVHS compliance work plan. For example, physician compensation-to-contract reviews and physician-leased space reviews.
- Duty 10: Other duties as assigned to support the Legal, Risk Management, and Corporate Compliance Department.
- Associate Degree in Paralegal Studies is required (Bachelor’s degree is preferred) or equivalent work experience (e.g., 5 years working directly as a legal assistant in healthcare real estate, including experience in corporate and real estate transactional law. Exposure to internal corporate governance, property acquisitions and related documents, and other commercial and business transactions)
- Knowledge of legal issues pertaining to professional liability, risk management, and real estate transactions
- A valid driver's license is required and you must also meet BVHS's company fleet policy requirement
- Positive service-oriented interpersonal and excellent customer service skills, including telephone and listening skills
- Superior project management skills
- Strong research and report-generating skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and the use of Visio
- Intermediate typing skills (30-35 wpm)
- Ability to work within a team and to foster teamwork
- Proficiency in statistics, data collection, analysis, and data presentation
Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.