Systems Support Engineer to support our deployment of broadband networks for various Utility Customers through the US. Primary responsibilities are to support network management and monitoring tools, Irby provided customer billing solutions and other software solutions required to operate broadband networks. This position implements, configures, and plays a role in the design of complex systems in conjunction with Irby’s network engineering team and outside resources.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Handle project work as it is assigned
- Write process and configuration documentation for new/existing networks
- Participates in engineering and configuring routine and complex technical solutions for applications/systems implementations and upgrades based on specific business requirements. Solutions may be new, existing, in-house, third party or a combination.
- Engineers, configures, and assists in the architecting of moderately complex technical solutions for applications/systems implementations and upgrades based on specific business requirements. Solutions may be new, existing, in-house, third party or a combination.
- Performs day-to-day system administration and monitoring tasks for assigned systems. Works with both internal and external customers and vendors to resolves technical system problems in a timely manner with a primary focus on moderate to complex problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Troubleshoot network impairments and outages ranging from core network issues to identifying, analyzing, and resolving end-user issues/trends.
- Be on-call, work irregular hours, and travel (max 20%) as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Experience with configuring and troubleshooting IP networks
- Good written and communication skills
- Must be self-directed and highly analytical
- Willing to learn and develop new skills
- Experience troubleshooting multiple layers of the OSI Model
- Possess a strong attention to detail
- Experience with test equipment and hand tools
- Able to lift 75lbs
- Experience with Gigabit Passive Optical Networks (G-PON)
- Possess networking related certifications such as Network+, Security +, Cisco Certified Network Associated (CCNA), Juniper Network Certified Intermediate Associate (JNCIA), or equivalent (certification does not need to be active/current)
- Experience with Juniper (JUNOS) command Line Interface based router/switch configuration
Irby Utilities is one of the three largest electrical utility distribution companies in the United States. Irby Utilities has experienced incredible growth over the past five years. This presents many outstanding career & development opportunities throughout the country in various locations such as: Jackson, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Orlando, Syracuse, Nashville, Denver, Salt Lake City, Portland, and Minneapolis.
Irby was a pioneer in the early days of the electrical business, founded in 1926, and continues to be an industry leader in philanthropic involvement and community activity. Irby is also part of the Sonepar family of operating companies, consisting of the finest locally managed electrical and industrial distributors throughout the United States. Sonepar is the world leader in electrical distribution.
Why join our Irby Team?
Our leadership cares about – and invests in – YOU. Our people are responsible for our success and have been since our founding in 1926.
Now one of the three largest electrical utility distribution companies in the United States, Irby Utilities has eclipsed $1.3 Billion in annual sales with over 700 employees in our 45 nation-wide branch locations. We are thrilled to keep growing with our team of passionate professionals.
Development: Associates who began in our foundational positions like inside sales have grown into other areas of the business such as leadership, operations, and account management.
Earning Potential: You can expect to earn a competitive, reliable wage in a place where top performance is incentivized through a variety of goal-oriented programs.
Benefits: Our full-time associates are eligible for a range of benefits including: health care, 401(K), dental, vision, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and lots more.
Diversity & Inclusion: We recognize that your perspective, background, and skills are part of what make you unique while keeping us competitive – we embrace the power of difference! That’s why Irby is committed to the policy of providing equal employment opportunities for training, compensation, transfer, promotion and other aspects of employment for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation and/or veteran status.
Work/Life Balance: Most of our branches operate during traditional business hours M-F, with weekends and major holidays off. Irby also affords generous PTO allotments and parental leaves of absences.
- Attention To Detail
- Business Requirements
- Cisco Certified Network Associate
- Command Line Interfaces