OSP (Outside Plant) is responsible for designing and implementing complex Outside Plant networks to deliver high speed broadband, video, and voice services to customers. The candidate will be responsible for various tasks associated with special circuit orders, network designs, drafting, field visits, and will support both business and residential customers utilizing copper & fiber cable, and Fixed wireless technologies. This position will work on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors and will work closely with OSP Field Engineering. The work includes conceptual development of projects and programs, route development, cost estimating, project planning, project scheduling, mapping, communications with city, county and state permitting agencies, working with private property owners such as individuals and railroad companies to secure easements and licenses, working with telephone companies and private building owners to secure building entrance approval and installation of building entrances, development of construction bid documents, bid analysis and recommendation of contractors, contract negotiations, city, state, and county permit applications, pole attachment applications, pole line make ready review, expediting, monitoring of contractor progress, contractor quality inspection and timely turnover of assigned projects, and budget management of project or program.
Responsibilities May Include Assisting In:
- Planning, analysis, and recommendations in support of new construction of outside plant network structures and facilities.
- Organize complex activities for the development, implementation, and maintenance of OSP engineering projects
- Utilize a wide range of experience, sound engineering practices, and company objectives to resolve issues in creative and effective ways
- Perform engineering design evaluations including cost-effective utilization of materials
- Perform administrative work relating to projects and assignments
- Assess situations, seek multiple perspectives, gather additional information if necessary, identify key issues, to solve complex problems
- Review and evaluate potential routes to determine least cost and quickest to market solutions.
- Coordinate with OSP Planning to prepare preliminary cost estimates and route proposals including descriptions of the proposed project and a map showing the preliminary route that is the basis for estimate.
- Identification of right of way and permitting requirements for proposed routes.
- Read and interpret construction documents, i.e.; prints and plans as well as splicing diagrams that are used in the splicing of fiber optics.
- Review preliminary construction prints from Right of Way authorities and determine potential conflicts; attend utility coordination meetings and construction progress meetings as needed.
- Monitor Variances to authorized FEAs
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Must be currently enrolled in an Engineering program related to Electrical, Electronic, Communications, Networking or related field of studies and have completed a minimum of 4 semesters (3 semesters acceptable depending on schools Co-op design)Job Category:
EngineeringLocations: EEO Statement:
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to: race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.