JT4 provides engineering and technical support to multiple western test ranges for the U.S. Air Force and Navy under the Joint Range Technical Services Contract, better known as J-Tech II. We develop and maintain realistic integrated test and training environments, and prepare our nation's war-fighting aircraft, weapon's systems and air crews for today's missions and tomorrow's global challenges.
**Not eligible for teleworking**
JOB SUMMARY - ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/DUTIES
Plan, design, write, edit, and proofread documents such as external customer correspondence, contract deliverables, and training manuals, and internal documentation such as proposals, correspondence, and contract requirements.
* Advise program management staff and external customers on correct procedures and instructions required in the publication of documents, which includes in-depth knowledge of customer requirements and specifications regarding documentation and publication standards.
* Edit reports, publications, proposals and correspondence to ensure clarity of content, consistency of format, and accuracy of grammar.
* Interface with engineers and technical professionals in the writing, editing and publication of various types of customer documents such as training manuals, concept of operations, and contract deliverables. Interface also occurs with external customers, providing the same support.
* Responsible for quality control, production, and distribution of documents in accordance with customer requests and schedules.
* Participate in department and company-wide proposal writing projects.
* Utilize appropriate computer software for document text production.
* Investigate and implement best ways to produce documentation electronically while still providing high quality output with rapid turnaround.
* When workload permits, provide senior-level technical writing/editing and advisory support to a small business company which is contracted to us for support.
* Establish and maintain electronic and/or hardcopy data library of documents and work order files for documents received for processing.
* Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
Each employee must read, understand, and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality, and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures, and policies pertaining to their job.
This position involves work typical of an office environment with no unusual hazards. There is occasional lifting (up to 20 pounds), constant sitting and use of a computer terminal, constant use of sight abilities while writing, reviewing, and editing documents, constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication, and constant mental alertness. The incumbent must possess planning/organizing skills and must be able to work under deadlines.
REQUIREMENTS - EDUCATION, TECHNICAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Level I: Associates degree in English, Journalism or related discipline, or completion of equivalent academic training and at least one year of job-related experience.
Level II: Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism or related discipline and at least 3 years of job-related experience or equivalent work experience and training.
Excellent written communication skills; working knowledge of word-processing and integrated software applications; organizational skills and ability to perform detail-oriented work are required. Must qualify for and maintain a government security clearance and possess a valid state issued driver's license.
A Little about Ridgecrest, California
This position is based in Ridgecrest, California, in Kern County in the southern part of the Indian Wells Valley. Residents are attracted to area for its clean air, good water, highway accessibility, easy access to multiple recreational opportunities, and proximity to major Southern California resources in Los Angeles, Bakersfield, and the Antelope Valley.
Ridgecrest is a small, patriotic, family-oriented community, where many of the residents contribute to the vital support of the Navy mission at the nearby China Lake Ranges.
Residents live minutes away from community activities and parks, shopping, and the JT4 office. Community parks cover nearly a hundred acres and include playgrounds, a skateboard park, soccer, softball, baseball, and football fields, basketball, tennis, and racquetball courts. Residents enjoy a variety of community events held throughout the year at local city and county parks and cultural centers.
Surrounded by four mountain ranges, Ridgecrest is a hub of activity for outdoor enthusiasts, where residents regularly take advantage of Ridgecrest's close proximity to all the best California has to offer in outdoor activities at nearby national forests and wilderness areas including Yosemite, Mono Lake, Sequoia, Red Rock and Owens Peak. The sunny California beach is only three hours away.
Ridgecrest is near two major highways, the 395 and 14. The Ontario and Burbank Airports are a little over a two hour drive away. The drive to the Lancaster/Palmdale area is approximately an hour and a quarter.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of persons so classified.
SCC: JTWP11; A4CLR
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- Technical Writings