We are seeking Corporate Counsel to provide legal advice across multiple business functions.
*The role will be hybrid (combination of office/remote) based out of our Gaithersburg, MD NorAm headquarters.
This position reports to the VP & Associate General Counsel of Operations, M&A and Special Projects while working closely with other members of Legal Department and other transversal functions, as well as internal business teams. The ideal candidate is one who has had substantive exposure to a broad range of corporate and transactional matters.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience (a) advising on a wide range of corporate, business, and contract matters, including business operations under various types of client and vendor contracts, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic investments and (b) working with cross-functional groups, within the company, including Finance, Treasury, Tax, Accounting, HR, Risk Management, and other members of the Legal Department (contract specialists, paralegals, and other attorneys).
You will be responsible for a wide array of corporate and commercial matters. We're looking for a business-minded attorney who can act as a utility player for a high-performing legal team. This attorney will assist the company’s robust Contract Administration team in the review, drafting, interpretation and negotiation of client contracts are requested by that team. The role also includes review, drafting, interpretation and negotiation of vendor, supply, confidentiality, and professional services agreements and coordination with the Supply Management lawyers on regional supply agreements.
Technical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review, draft, negotiate, interpret, and advise on commercial agreements with vendors or other partners, including professional services agreements, nondisclosure agreements, master services agreements, and statements of work, and similar agreements.
- Perform contract research and interpretation, providing contract guidance and support on day-to-day issues raised under client and vendor contracts.
- Rapidly assess potential legal risks, benefits and consequences of decisions, present alternatives and propose solutions to achieve business objectives while skillfully managing legal and practical business considerations.
- Provide support to M&A and financing transactions, including negotiating confidentiality agreements and other ancillary agreements and documents, managing due diligence, and assisting in all areas of deal planning and execution.
The ideal candidate will be able to take the lead on the company’s North American M&A activity, focusing on transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, strategic alliances, and the like, which will include the following:
- Engage and efficiently manage use of outside M&A counsel to assist with transactions.
- Partner with corporate development colleagues throughout the entire transaction process and work alongside senior business leaders to provide objective advice.
- Be the lead in-house lawyer the preparation, review and revisions of NDAs, letters of intent, asset purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, merger agreements, joint venture agreements, investment agreements, strategic alliance agreements and all related ancillary transaction documents, instruments, and agreements, coordinating with outside counsel as necessary.
- Assist M&A business team in the process of gathering and integrating other functional advisor and stakeholder input on deal documentation.
- Participate in and/or, where appropriate, lead the negotiation process.
- Participate in and assist with managing the overall due diligence processes. Supervise legal due diligence activities, including activities relating to (i) engaging and managing outside counsel and defining scope, (ii) reviewing and evaluating all due diligence findings, and (iii) reviewing comprehensive due diligence reports and digesting the findings for presentation to senior decision-makers.
- Help manage transaction signings and closings.
- Communicate with internal counsel, transaction teams, clients, functional transaction team members and counterparty counsel regarding all aspects of transactions, including post-closing integration matters.
- JD degree with relevant corporate, commercial, and (ideally) M&A experience, and admitted to practice in at least one U.S. state or the District of Columbia.
- At least 3 years of law firm experience preferred; relevant in-house experience also a plus.
- Corporate, M&A, or similar transactional experience that provides exposure across a wide range of corporate issues and familiarity with various types of agreements and practice areas.
- Ability to translate complex legal issues to business partners and provide a balanced and practical approach to legal drafting and problem solving.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals at all organizational levels.
- Professional, personable, approachable, and courteous demeanor.
- Creative, flexible, enthusiastic, innovative, and a can-do, no job is too small, team player attitude.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, and strong legal drafting abilities.
- Strong desire to learn the business and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
At Sodexo, we believe every employee should have the resources to be their best. As part of our overall rewards, we offer benefits programs designed to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle including health, dental and vision insurance. We also offer other benefits like paid time off, financial and savings programs, 401k, access to our employee assistance program, and other discounts. Click here for more information about [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Counsel.
Not the job for you?
At Sodexo, we offer positions that support a variety of career goals working in diverse business segments, including Corporate Headquarters, Corporate, Schools, Universities, Government and Agencies, Healthcare, Senior Living, and Sports and Leisure locations across the United States. [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Counsel.
Senior level attorney providing ongoing in-house counsel and legal advice to managers. Responsible for handling a variety of highly complex assigned legal projects and cases. Evaluates case liability and financial exposure for appropriate compliance. May supervise outside legal counsel.
Qualifications & Requirements
Basic Education Requirement - Juris Doctorate (J.D.) or LL.M. (Master of Laws)
Basic Functional Experience - 7 years of experience as a practicing attorney
Sodexo is an EEO/AA/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran employer.
- Business Planning
- Corporate Development