What You Will Do:
Under general supervision, perform a variety of clerical and secretarial duties such as word processing of correspondence, reports, and memos, maintaining computer-based and paper files, answering and screening telephone calls, and opening and distributing mail for a department or unit in accordance with hospital and department procedures and generally accepted secretarial practices. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
Secretaries perform secretarial/clerical support duties for various departments throughout the Medical System and duties vary slightly based upon the needs of the particular department. Major responsibilities are as follows:What You Need to Be Successful:
1. Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages and provides information promptly, courteously and accurately in accordance with established policies and procedures. Demonstrates Commitment to Excellence practices when answering telephone and in-person inquiries or providing information to patients, visitors and staff.
2. Prepares charts, tables, various reports and correspondence accurately and timely for review and approval of supervisory and/or professional staff. Proofreads typed materials, makes corrections and recommends changes.
3. Assists in maintaining expense accounts, petty cash or other financial information. Reviews and verifies statistical and other reports for completeness, propriety, adequacy and accuracy of computation prior to distribution or use.
4. Performs data gathering/information retrieval activities, compiles or otherwise assembles into usable format for use by the supervisor. Prepares memoranda and/or summaries of data as needed.
5. Maintains appointment books for meetings, patients, travel, and arranges appointments, interviews and meetings for supervisor and/or department staff as requested. Assists with the preparation of materials, agendas, notes, handouts, and various materials.
6. Maintains various department manual and computerized files in accordance with department procedures or The Joint Commission recordkeeping requirements. Assists other clerical, professional and management staff in setting up office recordkeeping systems.
7. Performs various human resources and payroll processing functions such as entering on-call schedules, tracking submission of employee evaluations, resolving payroll issues as directed by manager, data entry into time keeping system for approval by manager.
8. Orders office and/or clinical supplies as requested. Assists in care and maintenance of department office equipment.
9. Opens, sorts and distributes incoming and outgoing mail; prioritizes mail for immediate supervisor as appropriate.
10. Assists with clerical patient registration duties, as required in patient care areas.
11. Transcribe minutes and various other documents as requested in some areas.
12. Maintains established hospital/departmental/unit policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required. Two years general clerical experience including typing duties in required. Experience in a business, professional office or health care environment is required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Provide Logistical Support