Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
As part of Grainger’s Global Internal Audit Team (IA), the Senior Data Analytics Auditors will primarily be responsible for conducting data analytics (DA) audit work to more efficiently audit key controls. The Senior DA Auditor will work within the general guidelines provided by the Internal Audit Manager to carry out the department’s DA strategy. The role’s key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Data Analytics –
- Employing an expert level knowledge of computer applications the Senior DA Auditor Contributes to the development and implementation of a data analytics program as a key contact for Internal Audit. Supports financial / operational audit projects via integrated data analytics.
- Works with audit team members to appropriately scope and execute data analytics.
- Interprets data, analyzes results using statistical techniques and provides ongoing reports.
- Develops and implements data collection techniques and other strategies that optimize efficiency and data quality.
- Understands and adopts emerging technology to improve analytical approaches and problem resolution.
- Build relationships with other BI team members throughout the organization to share best practices and leverage other useful technology
- Provide input into audit plan and quarterly re-assessment of standalone DA audits
- Share data analysis best practices with others on the team and market the impact analytics has made on audit results
- Participate in IA continuous improvement projects, as applicable.
Data Reporting / Presentation –
- Assists in development of dashboards in support of Audit Committee and other key audit-related reports.
- Completes internal audit work papers, including data analytics results, to ensure clear identification and communication of risks and issues prior to presentation to senior management.
- Identifies themes, trends, and emerging risks for escalation and communication to Internal Audit Management.
- Work with business partner management to identify root cause of issues and / or trends resulting from analytics.
- Documents recommendations in an audit report and effectively present them to various levels of management.
Data Integrity / Support –
- Contributes to data analytics activities across Internal Audit.
- Recognizes changes in the business that may affect the risk environment and, therefore, requires possible changes to the audit plan or to the scope of planned audits and associated analytics.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related degree is required.
- 4+ yearsaudit, internal controls, or related work experience within a large, publicly traded company or public accounting firm required.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of processes, risks, internal controls, and the application of audit practices (i.e. COSO, COBIT) to these areas is required.
- Robust project management skills; experience working with mulit-project management is required.
- Strong knowledge of ERP systems (i.e. SAP or comparable large ERP systems). PC proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, etc.) and data analytics tools is required.
- Expertise in data analytics and big data is required.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Advanced Degree or other relevant certification is a plus.
- Professional Certification such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) is a plus.
- Experience in industries analogous to Grianger is a plus.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organization, planning, and project management skills.
- Ability to interact and communicate well with employees across different business environments and strong interpersonal abilities (i.e. ability to get along with diverse personalities, tactful, mature, etc.)
- Excellent understanding of internal controls.
- Strong business acumen & analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to leverage business systems (SAP, Business Objects) and tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Tableau, etc.) to support DA execution and measurement results.
- Strong understanding of data extraction tools and experience with robust DA tools
- Deliver value-added assessments and sound advice, good news and bad, in a
- relevant, concise and clear manner tuned to the audience.
- Understand the big picture and business issues.
- Assimilate and synthesize complex data and information into a decision-making framework.
- Act and commit to core values and ethical business conduct and has the backbone to stand up for what is right and necessary.
- Able to separate people from issues.
- Manage a large and diverse portfolio of issues and rapidly assess situations with
- multiple outcomes and consequences.
- Work autonomously with a strong attention to detail.
- Exercise comprehensive and thorough risk assessment, project management, and
- communication protocol and skills.
- Peer relationships with internal auditors, IT professionals, and business personnel.
- Reports to Audit Manager.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status
Certified Fraud Examiner
Certified Fraud Examination
Certified Internal Auditor