Matthews International is currently seeking a Project Engineer to support our global team on new and existing engineering projects. In this exciting role, the Project Engineer assumes a technical role in developing and leading a variety of projects within the area of assigned responsibility (e.g., Capital equipment specification/installation/commissioning, site and facility engineering, new process development, component/assembly/subassembly sourcing/design/improvement, asset reliability improvement, etc). The self-motivated, analytical Project Engineer will be focused on technical project management and feasibility, re-imagining products and optimizing processes to improve functionality.
- Reviews product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Serves as technical lead on engineering projects of various sizes by providing end-to-end technical and leadership contributions and support to ensure project success.
- Develops and coordinates all project activities including technical/engineering details, project plans, budgets, timelines, and turnover documents.
- Directs and leads the integration of technical activities and products.
- Ensures that specifications include all required drawings, and adherence/compliance/identification of accepted standards (e.g., ANSI ASTM, DIN).
- Controls expenditures within limitations of the project budget.
- Prepares interim and completion project reports.
- Maintains technical direction of other lower-level project engineers or field engineers.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Technical Project Management:
- Serve as technical resource on engineering projects of various sizes. Ability to provide end-to-end technical contributions & support to ensure project success.
- Develop and present all required project documentation, including technical/engineering details, project plans, budgets, timelines, and turnover documents.
- Define and implement project metrics and controls
- Articulate project value proposition as appropriate and required
Specification Development and Management:
- Interface with business units to ensure that accurate and complete specifications are developed and managed for primary materials, components, assemblies, and equipment.
- Ensure that specifications include all required drawings, and adherence/compliance/identification of accepted standards (e.g., ANSI, ASTM, DIN)
- Define E/H/S and trade practice compliance requirements (e.g., U.S. Conflict Minerals Law)
- Support businesses on product/process/asset specification change management
- Engineering Support
- Ability to develop and understand and interpret technical drawings, specifications, national/international standards, chemical formulas, quality control processes, machine elements, limits/functionality requirements, automation platforms, and control systems.
- Understand a range of manufacturing processes including castings, moldings, machining and assembly. Exposure to advanced manufacturing and materials technologies.
- Lead engineering technical services efforts associated with supplier quality (e.g., FMEAs, control plans, statistical improvement tools)
- Develop and implement qualification, commissioning, and first article production protocols.
Lean and Intelligent Production:
- Drive continuous improvement through the SQDV (Safety+Quality+Delivery=Value) process.
- Champion asset and process reliability (world-class maintenance) and risk mitigation
- Lead the identification of new products, processes, systems, and technologies to introduce step-change improvements in existing production systems (discrete and process)
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering discipline or Natural/Physical Science or related field
- Advanced degree (MBA, Master’s) preferred
- 8+ years progressive engineering and technical project leadership experience with a progressive industrial, automation, or advanced technology company; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Deep familiarity and supplier experience in one or more of the following technology areas: a) materials and materials processing, b) advanced manufacturing technology (e.g., additive manufacturing), c) industrial controls and automation, d) robotics, e) machine tools/related capital equipment, f) graphic/printing, g) packaging, h) printing and marking systems, i) fluid control.
- Formal training in engineering project management, lean techniques, quality improvement tolls, and specific industrial enabling technologies (e.g. PLCs) highly desired
- Project Management Professional credential preferred
- Working knowledge of mechanical, pneumatic, mechatronic, hydraulic and electrical systems & components.
- Proficient in Lean techniques and quality analysis tools such as 5D, SPC, PFMEA, etc.
- Occasional travel either locally, nationally, and/or internationally may be required.
- High degree of proficiency MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, budgeting, project management (from conception to completion), & planning skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including analysis, interpretation, & reasoning)
- Solid understanding and application of mathematical concepts
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues across the organization, as well as, internal and external clients
- Ability to work well autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting
- Engineering analysis
- Plant engineering
- Communication and presentation
- Self motivated with a high level of initiative
- Excellent data analysis and reporting skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Able to be critical and accept criticism
- Able to lead and facilitate cross functional teams
- Project leadership
PHYSICAL ASPECTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Regularly required to stand; walk; sit; and talk, hear and see.
• Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
* Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
At Matthews International, we believe in a world of inspired possibilities. We believe that taking pride in our past inspires growth for the future. And that we all have a responsibility to explore new ways of thinking, working and advancing our craft.
Globally headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Matthews International is home to a global network of employees operating in three distinct industries—SGK Brand Solutions, Memorialization and Industrial Technologies. We care deeply about what they do each day—because when we’re inspired, we can inspire others. We can make difference that goes beyond expectations—for our clients, our community and our company.
Our dedication, drive and determination empower creativity and give us strength to transform inspired possibilities into inspiring realities. This is strengthened by our values which are fundamental to our business and guide how we work—to demonstrate integrity, cultivate employees, be our best, innovate and live the Matthews spirit.
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Project Engineer
Matthews International affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Matthews International endeavors to make our employment website and application process accessible to all users and applicants. In doing so, Matthews International provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation or assistance completing the application process, please contact a member of our Human Resource Team.
- Production Systems
- Manufacturing Processes
- Process Development
- Computer Control Systems
- Interpersonal Skills