Requisition ID: 156340
Job Level: Entry Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Industrial & Water Engineering
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Industrial Engineering (K-IND) is seeking an Electrical Designer/Drafter. We are looking for ideal candidates to grow the Kiewit team by helping establish, maintain, and improve company standards and tools while also utilizing these standards and tools to contribute to project success. Candidates shall be familiar with current drawing and technical tools, programs, and software with an understanding of design documentation creation and layouts. Candidates shall be capable of exhibiting flexibility in work assignments while maintaining a growth mindset and continuing to develop in their technical and professional career.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Design Group, which includes process, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Consumer Products, Heavy Manufacturing, Industrial Buildings Industrial Water and Utilities. We have specialized expertise in plant floor process design, packaging, refrigerated/frozen facility design, and ammonia refrigeration systems.
We are a high-performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the industrial markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost-effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
This position is based out of Lenexa, KS.
• Reports project progression updates and/or issues to Lead Electrical Designers required.
• Coordinates with project team by utilizing the Project Database: Request for Review Process, Holds List, ECN, Request for information from other disciplines, and all other applicable functions.
• Utilize applicable engineering national and local codes.
• Develop schematics and one-line drawings from engineering sketches or mark-ups.
• Design duct bank, embedded conduit, cable tray, grounding and lighting systems from concept to completion utilizing engineering documents, sketches or vendor data.
• Develops 3D models utilizing drawings, sketches, and design skills. Checks and navigates in the 3D models for interferences and constructability.
• Routes electrical cables in a 3D environment to generate a cable schedule.
• Model electrical components using vendor submittals and electrical designs
• Perform calculations to check allowable fill in conduits and cable tray systems according to NEC requirements and size pull boxes.
• Perform calculations to size pull boxes according to NEC requirements.
• Gathers information needed to develop design and verify voltage separation requirements are met.
• Creates plan drawings and details for electrical deliverables.
• Analyze, inspect, and construct designs while adhering to electrical quality standards and department procedures.
• Provides lessons learned throughout the project by utilizing the Lessons Learned database.
• Complete as-builts by utilizing Request for Information (RFI) forms, Engineering Change Notices (ECNs) and red-marked drawings from construction to develop “Conformed to Construction Records” as required.
• Participates in project meetings as required.
• Checks design for consistency, safety, operability and maintenance requirements before submitting to checking.
• Resolves checked drawings; prove and understand comments made.
• Completes miscellaneous tasks to support project development.
• Associates, Vocational or Bachelor's degree in Design& Drafting technology, Engineering Technology or Design or a related degree.
• 0-3 years of electrical design experience or related field experience preferred but not required.
• Experience utilizing 3D programs such as MicroStation, AutoCAD, Revit, AutoCAD MEP, or Navisworks and have knowledge of the latest computer operating systems.
• Must be able to conceptualize in a 3D environment.
• Must be able to communicate through emails and utilize electronic meeting requests.
• Must have a working knowledge of spreadsheets, databases and PDF software.
• Must be able to represent Kiewit manner to owners, contractors, vendors and any other contacts outside the Kiewit organization. #LI-IPLA
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- 3 D Computer Graphics Software
- Auto Cad
- Autodesk Revit