Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
The Senior Data Analyst position is a key role on the Natural Language Processing (NLP) team serving Life Sciences businesses. In this role, you will be working with Big Data, including unstructured clinical notes, JSON model outputs, and structured clinical and claims data, to lead data exploration and extraction requests. To be successful in this role, you bring hands-on experience working with Big Data and a suite of technical tools to efficiently work with large volumes of data. In addition, you are a team player who can communicate and work well with people in different roles and are flexible when needed to support shifting business priorities.
The ideal candidate enjoys taking on new challenges and opportunities to learn and grow. The team supports career growth by aligning opportunities with the individual’s interests whenever possible.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely * from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 2+ years of experience with SQL or SQL-like language. Must have a solid understanding of set operations and how to use them to troubleshoot data trends
- 2+ years of experience with Python and command line skills
- 2+ years of experience working with clinical and/or claims data or related real-world healthcare data
- Basic understanding of industry-standard codes (e.g., ICD, CPT/HCPCS, NDC)
- Interest in exploratory data investigations to help define and carve out next steps from open-ended requests
- Ability to apply basic statistics and explain the logic behind the statistical analysis
- Advanced degree in Data Science, Analytics, Computer Science, Engineering, or related fields
- Experience creating internal- and external-facing documentation as well as participation in manuscript writing for submission to peer-reviewed journals
- Experience with process improvements and mentoring team members
- Experience working with Atlassian tools (Jira, Confluence)
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members in different roles (e.g., data engineering, data science, project management)
- Solid verbal and written communication and time management skills
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, or New York City Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut/Nevada/New York City residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.