Middough Inc. - 'TOP WORKPLACES' winner!Electrical Substation Engineer – Position and Responsibilities
As an Electrical Substation Engineer with Middough, you will work as a member of a multi-discipline team on high-voltage utility systems and renewable energy interconnection projects with a strong focus on electrical transmission and distribution substation projects. Projects will encompass electrical systems ranging from 5kV to 500kV utility grade systems. The Substation Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of design of the substation projects from conceptual design, generation of project deliverable sets, and construction support. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Education, Experience and Skills
- Collaborate with multiple discipline teams and offices including electrical, civil, structural, mechanical and project management.
- Direct junior engineers, designers and drafters in project workflow while coordinating workload to adhere to project schedules and communicating with the project lead.
- Coordinate multiple projects and clients simultaneously while maintaining a high level of project quality while adhering to applicable client design standards and industry best practices.
- Collect and prepare data and information, perform detailed engineering calculations, and write formal engineering and technical reports
- Assist in site visits and field verification.
- Responsible for transmission and distribution substation engineering including detailed design for high voltage substation projects through 500kv including:
- Single Line Diagrams
- Plan and Elevation Drawings
- Relay protection and controls design including schematics, wiring and three-line diagrams
- Prepare above and below grade deliverables
- Engineering calculations for Station Service Sizing, Voltage Drop, Short Circuit and Lightning
- Equipment and Construction specifications and Bills of Materials
- Industry codes and standards including the National Electrical Code (NEC) and National Electric Safety Code (NESC), NEMA, ANSI and IEEE standards.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor of Science in an Electrical Engineering discipline required.
- 5+ years of related experience required.
- Professional Engineer license or Engineer-in-Training certification required.
- Experience with utility substation design methods and application.
- Experience with CAD design software such as AutoCAD and MicroStation preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and attention to detail abilities.
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational abilities for project efficiency.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
The characteristics described below are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing duties of this position, the successful candidate will:
- Remain in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Frequently walk, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop or kneel, use repeating motions that may include the wrists/hands/fingers and talk and hear.
- Frequently use up-close vision, distance vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Should not expect adverse environmental conditions within company offices.
- May be exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as climbing ladders and/or stairs, extreme heat and/or cold, and/or poor air quality) if or when on-site at a client facility. Safety protections to be provided by the client and/or company and are required to be used and followed.
- May require occasional car or air travel to other company locations or client sites.
- This position requires the candidate/employee to possess and maintain a valid driver's license in their state of residence.
Middough Inc. (Middough), founded in 1950, is a leading professional engineering, architecture and project solutions company providing services to a broad spectrum of Fortune 500 clients in nine core industries with offices across the Central, Midwest and Northeast regions. Our diversified team is our greatest asset, and they are challenged with a large variety of interesting projects, management and technical development opportunities and team building experiences. Middough employs the best and brightest individuals who share our passion for excellence and who are dedicated to client satisfaction, quality service, safety awareness and professional development.What Middough Offers
We offer a growth and learning culture which encourages and supports employee development through a wide variety of tools and resources such as the company Learning Management System, Middough Learning Center. Middough provides an opportunity to bring your talents and expertise to a successful and growing organization for your career advancement goals. Additionally, we offer a highly competitive compensation and the following comprehensive benefits package, based on eligibility and plan terms/changes:
- A hybrid work model for work-life flexibility (based on business and client needs)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Company paid Short/Long Term Disability, Life, AD&D, and Travel insurance
- Health Saving and Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays
- Flexible Start Times
- Tuition Assistance
- Paid Certifications and Registrations (as applicable)
- Employee Assistance Program
Middough participates in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) E-Verify
program to confirm work authorization.Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors or any other protected characteristic under protected by federal, state, or local laws. Middough does not support sponsorship for any applicant that requires an employment visa (i.e., H-1B) to work lawfully in the US.
- Attention To Detail
- Auto Cad