Grainger is a global leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions. Our 18,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways focusing on delivering the highest level of service. The Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's employees serve customers more than 115,000 times every day through multiple channels. As part of a high-performing team, you’ll be able to develop your talents, and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list.
Classify Grainger items and Grainger sourced items within the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) including indicating special trade programs where applicable. Support the Import and Export activity for Grainger’s and North America business units with focus on Canadian classification. Apply Export Schedule B number and Commodity Control Number (ECCN) following the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Support the Import and Export activity for Grainger’s Latin America business units as needed.
• Determine item Classification and applicable duty rate using the HTS for U.S imports and Canada imports.
• Interpret the US Harmonized Tariffs along with chapter and explanatory notes.
• Identifying applicable government agency requirements for U.S. and Canada (EPA, FDA, FCC, FWS, DOT, TSCA, Lacy Act, Steel License, Canada Heath, Canada National Energy Board, etc.)
• Apply special trade programs and ensure long descriptions are accurate and complete.
• Properly determine and apply U.S. Antidumping and Countervailing case numbers and duty rates.
• Properly determine and apply Canada SIMA case numbers and duty rates.
• Knowledge of the Commerce Control List (CCL) and ability to accurately assign ECCN’s
• Ability to determine if export license is required under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
• Respond to daily classification inquiries from customs brokers and internal customers.
• Develop and retain audit trails to support the classification assigned and update classification database system
• Responsible for daily HTS audits
• Source Customs rulings to support classification determinations
• Performs other duties as assigned
Education – High School Degree required. Bachelor’s degree a plus.
Experience – Experience in U.S. and Canada import regulations and ability to classify products under the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. Experience in U.S. Export regulations and ability to determine proper Schedule B number and applicable ECCN following EAR guidelines.
- Interpersonal skills and relationship building
- Communication and cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to articulate a problem and identify the root cause
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Microsoft Excel
- Experienced in Harmonized Tariff Schedule and Export Commodity Control Number classification of products.
- Understanding of U.S. Customs and Border Protection Regulations, including FTAs.
- US import and US export customs regulatory / agencies experience desired
- Experience in licensing determination from the U.S. desired
- Familiar with country of origin and marking issues, record keeping requirements, and supply chain security regulations a plus.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status
Harmonized Tariff Schedule