This is an extended duration posting for current and future openings for the MetroBus Operator Training Program. Applications will be continuously assessed.
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) invites applications for entry into the MetroBus Operator Training Program as Student Bus Operators. Applications are welcomed from both civilians and current/former military personnel. Qualifying candidates must be at least 21 years old at the time of testing and possess the ability to satisfactorily complete the background check and medical examination process. The most desirable candidates are those who currently possess a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or Learner's permit with Passenger Bus and Air Brakes endorsements. A copy of the CDL learners permit or license will be verified prior to testing.
During training, CDL permit holders with valid Passenger and Airbrake endorsements are paid an hourly rate of $18. CDL license holders with Passenger and Airbrake endorsements with no restrictions earn an hourly rate of $20. Those successfully completing the training program will assume a full time regular MetroBus Operator position at which time the hourly rate will increase to $20.27.
The MetroBus Operator position is represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union, local 689 and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 922.
Minimum Qualifications Education
- Shift: Various
- Location: Various
- Assigned Days Off: Various
- High School diploma or possession of general equivalency diploma (GED)
- A minimum of three (3) years of work experience to include two (2) years of customer service experience
- Must be at least age 21
- Licensed driver for a minimum of four (4) or more years
- A Commercial Driver's License or Learner's Permit with Passenger Bus and Airbrakes endorsement before starting Bus Training
- Driving record must reflect no more than two (2) points, no more than one (1) moving violation and no suspension or revocation due to moving violations within the last three (3) years
- Commercial Driver's License (must be acquired by the conclusion of the Bus training program)
- Valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Passenger Bus and Air Brake endorsements
- Prior Customer Service Experience
The military occupational skills (MOS) or service occupational codes (SOC) that are most applicable to the MetroBus Operator position are listed below. Branch MOS/SOC and/or Military Function
US Air Force
2T111, 2T131, 2T151
3531, 3534 Medical Group
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this particular position either with or without reasonable accommodation(s). Summary
The Student Bus Operators are responsible for attending and successfully completing the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's (WMATA) bus operator training course where they are taught to operate WMATA commercial passenger buses on scheduled routes across the metropolitan area and provide courteous and professional customer service to passengers. The Student learns and adheres to all safety and traffic rules, company regulations, policies, and procedures to ensure the well-being of WMATA customers, employees, public, and themselves. Students must demonstrate their acquired skills and knowledge through the successful passing of examinations and practical demonstrations. This is a safety sensitive position subject to the rules and regulations of WMATA's Drug and Alcohol Policy. Essential Functions
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Successfully completes Bus Operator and CDL training program, which includes classroom study, on-route training, driving experience, and resources (including the Bus) necessary to take and pass the state CDL examination.
- Student who already have a CDL License are not required attend the CDL portion of the training
- Learns to perform complete pre- and post-operation inspection of the assigned vehicles in accordance with WMATA policy to ensure tire pressure, fluid levels, safety equipment, gauges, and controls are in proper working order. Reports any safety issues on standard reports.
- Follows all required safety policies and procedures.
- Learns to safely operate a passenger bus along designated routes; read route descriptions and provide each customer with stellar customer service.
- Learns to continuously monitor the condition of assigned vehicles to ensure they are operationally ready at all times.
- Learn to complete and submit accident and incident reports in accordance with established guidelines.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
Order of Preference
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drup and alchohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
The order of preference for the MetroBus Operator position is defined by the respective collective bargaining agreement. Closing
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.
Commercial Driver's License (Cdl)
Professional Customer Services