Bring YOUR energy to Alliant Energy!
At Alliant Energy, our purpose is to serve customers and build stronger communities. We are passionate about powering beyond the market challenges of today, while powering what's next in energy. When our employees say "I am energy," it means they take pride in the work we do when disaster strikes, as well as all the days in between. We reward our highly hardworking and dedicated teams and give them the support they need to ensure their safety, wellness and financial security for themselves and their families.
If you enjoy challenges, have strong communication skills and are passionate about the work you do we invite you to consider Alliant Energy.
What sets us apart?
* Alliant Energy offers a full compensation package. Benefits include Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Health and Day Care Savings Accounts, Paid Vacation, 401K, Employer Cash Contribution, Long and Short-Term Disability, Tuition reimbursement, and Adoption assistance.
* Year after year, Alliant Energy is recognized by major publications and foundations as a top employer and leader in the areas of equity and sustainability. This includes Newsweek's list of Most Responsible Companies, Forbes list of Best Midsize Employers, a perfect Corporate Equality Index Score as a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality and being named to the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index.
* Our employees make a difference through their work and personal activities. In 2021, employees, retirees and our charitable foundation collectively contributed $11.5 million and volunteered over 75,000 hours.
Alliant Energy has an outstanding opportunity for a Delivery System Planning Electrical Engineer to join our Delivery System Planning team and execute our vision for the future of the electric distribution system. In this role you will work both independently and with other engineers and employees developing and executing long range plans for the electric distribution system, analyzing the ability to accommodate new load, and studying the impacts of behind the meter and utility scale distributed energy resources. You will help us achieve our goal of providing a modern and resilient grid that serves the needs of our customers safely, efficiently, and responsibly.
The preferred location for this position is Madison, WI, with some flexibility for potentially being located out of one of our operating offices across the State of Wisconsin. This hybrid position offers the flexibility to work from home and will report to a combination of the Madison, WI office and other operating offices of responsibility an average of 2-3 days per week. The successful candidate must reside in Wisconsin.
The ideal candidate has a passion for power!
Alliant Energy will not provide sponsorship for an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa) now or in the future for this position.
* Performs work on a variety of assignments, some of which require in-depth analysis to determine appropriate solutions; uses a variety of tools and resources to solve problems. This is done initially with a more experienced engineer's review and oversight.
* Learns customer needs and expectations; works towards identifying problems and proposing solutions within assigned area of responsibility.
* Applies governmental and organizational engineering standards.
* Uses standard practices and procedures to solve problems limited in scope. Is proactively involved in the identification of creative solutions and alternative methods for getting work done.
* Develops critical thinking skills necessary to provide technically sound, and the most cost-effective solutions for a specific problem.
* Makes low risk decisions that involve direct application of technical knowledge with guidance from supervisor.
* Develops an understanding of business needs and works towards developing the appropriate workable solution to problems based on given budgetary and schedule constraints.
* Performs as a key team member who makes positive, supportive contributions on teams that deal with technical or operational problems. Learns and participates in the departmental budgeting process.
* Learns the fundamentals of the utility industry as it relates to customers, delivery system, operations, regulation, generation, and markets.
* Develops effective working relationships with employees, contractors, customers, functional groups, and internal and external peers.
* Learns to explain technical problems to internal stakeholders and prepares detailed documents such as technical studies, project documentation for future reference, etc.
* Demonstrates awareness of the corporate balance sheet, income statement and understands the difference between a rate payer and shareholder.
* Bachelor's degree within an engineering program that is accredited through the Engineering accreditation Commission
* Previous technical and/or professional experience preferred.
* An internship or co-op in engineering preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to use computer software programs (e.g., e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and project management).
* Ability to work in a diverse work environment.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels within the organization and external stakeholders.
Our people are passionate about what they do, the product they sell, and the customers they serve. If you're looking for an opportunity to be a part of a work family that values collaboration, innovation and dedication, we're the right company for you.
It's not just what we do; it's how we do it.
Live Safety. Everyone. Always | Make Things Better | Care For Others | Do The Right Thing | Act For Tomorrow | Think Beyond. Be Bold
Alliant Energy is committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
All candidates selected for employment with Alliant Energy will be required to successfully complete a drug screen and background check.
The above information on this description has been crafted to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not crafted to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
- Business Requirements
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Demand Planning
- Electrical Engineering
- Financial Management