The Value Engineer is a key role within the Engineering Department of the Global Offshore Business, focusing on maximizing the value and financial performance of large-scale offshore wind projects. The individual will be working as part of a global business actively developing projects in Europe and the USA.
The value engineering role is a very multi-disciplinary position working to support both new business and project execution. A successful value engineer requires technical and project management skills and is comfortable working collaboratively to both support and challenge the assumptions of a project to help deliver the best value for the business. The value engineer owns the business case for a project and is responsible for maintaining a comprehensive understanding of all technical and commercial assumptions and costs. Using benchmark data, experience from the global business, and other internal data and analyses, the value engineer works collaboratively with the project to help deliver cost- and risk-optimized offshore wind projects.
The value engineering team develops and works with highly confidential commercial information and must be very diligent in managing and communicating information appropriately and professionally, including to senior leadership within the business.
Skills and Requirements
- Own and prepare the Business Case (document summarizing the CapEx, OpEx, AEP, and all other project inputs) for evaluation by the Investment Office. The Business Case is the key representation of the project and is shared with senior leadership.
- Collaborate with Engineering Package Managers and EPC Directors to deliver projects with the best risk-balanced return possible. Work with these teams to develop and mature CapEx estimations early in the project cycle and continue to be engaged during equipment tendering to help optimize the overall project concept, cost, and payment structure.
- Develop and execute Cost/Benefit studies to assess engineering and technology alternatives. The value engineer must be comfortable owning and articulating the results of these studies to technical teams and project leadership to support good business decision making.
- Support risk management through business case evaluation to identify potential CapEx and revenue impacts for each risk.
- Ensure the Value Engineering team best practices and processes are implemented and applied in the different project phases.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline such as but not limited to mechanical/ civil/electrical engineering, financial engineering, industrial engineering, finance, or the equivalent combination of business education and experience.
- 2+ years relevant working experience in similar role such as but not limited to utility integrated resource planning (IRP), procurement, capex estimation in the energy industry, renewable project development or technical project management in the energy industry, energy-related RFP teams, etc.
- Experience with capital cost estimation and demonstrated knowledge of market trends.
- Demonstrated understanding of financial, commercial, and business principles, including IRR, NPV, and discount rates.
- Strong technical and analytical skills with the ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Strong command of English, both verbally and written.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint); Expert user of Microsoft Excel.
- Extremely high sense of ownership with an above-average commitment to delivering excellent work that the business can count on and trust.
- Strong team player, innovative and creative thinker.
- Demonstrated influencing skills, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to be proactive and take responsibility for matters, while responding to competing business demands.
- Tenacity, persistence, and determination to succeed in overcoming obstacles.
- High capacity for change and experience of leading others through change.
- Strong sense of accountability, with a significant focus on delivery and an ability to balance a varied and challenging workload, whilst producing high quality results in demanding timeframes.
Our Selection Process
- Be a role model
- Be agile
- Collaborate and Share
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Focus to achieve results
- Technical Skills
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this [ Link removed ]
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
or [ Email address blocked ]
- Self Motivation
- Stress Management
- Resource Planning
- Risk Management
- Hardworking And Dedicated