The State Tax Compliance group is responsible for all state and local income and franchise tax compliance related to Marathon Petroleum Corporation and its subsidiaries. The primary function is the preparation of annual state and local income and franchise tax returns for Marathon's corporations and partnerships. This includes filing tax returns, calculating installment payments and addressing state audit requests. The analyst is expected to handle multiple tasks and be able to meet a variety of tax return filing deadlines. This position interfaces with other departments within F&A and other organizations including Consolidation Accounting, Financial Planning and Business Development. This position reports to the State Income Tax Manager. #2 Role in State Income Tax Compliance Group
- Preparation and review of state and local income and franchise tax returns in accordance with established due dates, including the analysis of apportionment data and state depreciation deductions.
- Calculate quarterly estimated state and local payments, including processing payments, in accordance with established due dates.
- Provide support and answer various state tax audit information requests.
- Interface with Accounting Organization personnel to obtain needed financial data and information.
- Provide analysis and information required in tax planning activities when such matters arise.
- Assist in preparation and review of the quarterly tax forecasts including providing/reporting variance analysis to tax management.
- Perform research and complete legislative analysis for the various states.
- Assist in other special project assignments within the Tax Compliance organization.
- Maintain appropriate tax accounting records and calculations for current and previous years.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors Required, Accounting or Finance: Masters in Tax a plus
General ledger and tax software experience (such as SAP or CorpTax) is preferred. A strong proficiency in Excel is required.
The candidate must demonstrate a sufficient background in tax knowledge/experience to be able to perform this work. A minimum of Eight (8) years work experience preferred.
Travel Expected: Up to 10%
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: MPC) is a large-scale geographically-diversified and highly -integrated refining, marketing and midstream company. MPC is the nation's largest refiner, with a crude oil refining capacity of more than 3 million barrels per calendar day in its 16-refinery system. MPC's high-quality, nationwide retail and marketing business includes approximately 3,900 company-owned and -operated stores and 7,800 branded locations. MPC owns the general partners of MPLX LP and Andeavor Logistics LP, two strong, customer-focused midstream master limited partnerships.
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, [ Link removed ] - URL blocked - click to apply.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at [ Email address blocked ] - URL blocked - click to apply. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability
Marathon Petroleum Company LP participates in the E-Verify program in some states in which it operates (including AL, AZ, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, and UT). For more information before proceeding, please see details in [ Link removed ] - URL blocked - click to apply. Right to Work Statement [ Link removed ] - URL blocked - click to apply or [ Link removed ] - URL blocked - click to apply.
Analysis Of Variance