The Junior Network/System Admin will support a federal DOJ agency. The agency maintains a land mobile radio (LMR) system comprised of thousands of communications sites where fixed equipment has been installed. This equipment is linked via microwave and data circuits and is connected to a central core. The radio system consists primarily of Motorola, Inc., consoles, base stations, repeaters, wireline modems, digital interface units, mobile and portable radios.
***Candidates must possess an active Top Secret Clearance***
- Hard worker, willing to learn, with a couple of years of IT system admin experience
- Good knowledge of Internet technologies and networking
- Prior experience with the following software and hardware is required for this position
- Microsoft technologies
- Cisco technologies
- Linux technology
- A basic to intermediate knowledge of networking and networking equipment.
- Must be a team player, have excellent oral and written communications skills, and be customer service oriented
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, 1-4 years of additional related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
Under the direction of a senior member of the teams, duties could include:
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc.in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Perform operations and maintenance in a Linux environment.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request for all software.
- Provide troubleshooting support per request from various agencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted agencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis based on recommendation from the Information Security Officer, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Work with senior engineers to determine and deploy bill of materials, obtain price quotes
- Create rack elevations, Visio diagrams for network topologies
- Prepare other documentation and presentation materials as needed
- Fiber optic and copper cabling experience
- Create SOPs and Change Management Plan documents
- Implement network changes according to plan and collect artifacts
- Carry out other work as directed by senior members of the team
Additional qualifications that are a plus:
- Certified Networking Associate or Professional (e.g. Cisco CCNA/CCNP, Network+, Security+, etc.)
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training, and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs, and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Installations (Computer Systems)
Complex Problem Solving
Troubleshooting (Problem Solving)