GDIT supports the world’s largest supercomputer dedicated to life sciences and biomedical research. In the past two years we’ve delivered 14X growth in compute and 5X in storage for NIH. We are looking to expand our NIH onsite HPC support with individuals who can also contribute to GDIT’s HPC Center of Excellence across programs in NASA, NOAA, Defense and Intelligence communities.
We are looking for an experienced individual with a strong Linux background, configuration management, systems automation and network monitoring to join our team to administer the NIH Biowulf supercomputer. The position is full-time onsite at the NIH main campus in Bethesda, Maryland.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
This position supports the HPC systems administrative team in operating and maintaining the 3,000 node Linux cluster for ~2,000 biomedical researchers. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with systems staff to enhance configuration management infrastructure
- Evaluate performance impacts of planned operating system changes
- Update and expand existing systems monitoring capabilities
- Develop automation tools for cluster administration
- Participate in resource optimization and job scheduling software and policies
- Provide technical support to researchers using HPC resources, troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate computational strategies
- Consult and collaborate with scientist coworkers to determine best system configurations for applications
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- BS degree and 8+ years of related experience; or a MS and 6+ years of related experience or the equivalent combination of experience/education.
- Minimum of eight years RedHat or CentOS Linux system administrator experience in an HPC environment.
- Minimum of 9+ years programming experience in at least two languages: C/C++, Python and Perl.
- Prior experience with configuration management tools, such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Cobbler.
- Demonstrated ability to configure, deploy and manage a major system area such as batch system, network, data storage, backup system, database system, or distributed computing
- Experience with batch systems such as SLURM or PBS
- Experience managing parallel and cluster file systems such as NFS, GPFS, or Lustre
- Network management experience especially Infiniband
- Experience integrating applications with cloud provider software stack
- Experience presenting and/or teaching
ATTRIBUTES FOR SUCCESS
- Provide leadership and technical expertise to improve HPC cluster performance and resiliency
- Ability to work both independently and as part of the team; flexibility in dealing with assignments and in working on several projects simultaneously
- Ability to effectively communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and computer knowledge
- The position is full-time onsite at the NIH main campus in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Limited off-hour system maintenance activities will be planned in advance.
- There are no travel requirements.
- Applicants must be US citizen or permanent resident to meet moderate level security requirement of facility.
We are GDIT. The people supporting some of the most complex government, defense, and intelligence projects across the country. We deliver. Bringing the expertise needed to understand and advance critical missions. We transform. Shifting the ways clients invest in, integrate, and innovate technology solutions. We ensure today is safe and tomorrow is smarter. We are there. On the ground, beside our clients, in the lab, and everywhere in between. Offering the technology transformations, strategy, and mission services needed to get the job done.
GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.
High Performance Computing
C++ (Programming Language)
C (Programming Language)