Responsible for assisting the sushi chef in the preparation and production of sushi items for our guests in accordance with Benihana food preparations and service guidelines. Works in front of guests while preparing foods at the sushi bar and ensuring a fun and inviting experience. Maintains the cleanliness and sanitation of the sushi bar and equipment.
In accordance with Benihana's service and cooking procedures:
- Cleans and maintains sushi bar and equipment in safe and sanitary conditions.
- Prepares sushi items and sides to include cooking of rice, preparation of vegetables, and cleaning of fish. Approximately 50% of time this function is performed in front of guests.
- Performs shift opening and closing duties as assigned to include cleaning the neta cases, cutting boards, fryers, grills, equipment and floors.
- Is knowledgeable about and complies with the Company's standards on food portioning, cooking methods, quality standards, kitchen recipes, policies and procedures.
- Maintains kitchen, cooking areas, sushi counters, kitchen equipment and food storage areas clean, sanitary and organized. Reports any kitchen/sushi equipment or maintenance issues to the manager on duty (MOD) and head sushi chef.
- Properly handles ready to eat food that is served raw.
- Handles, stores, labels, and rotates foods properly and in accordance with public health safety, state and local laws. Follows Everclean Best Practices for food handling and storage.
- Uses knives, hand tools, utensils, and equipment to portion, cut, slice, julienne, whip, beat, maintain holding temperature, chill, freeze or otherwise produce food.
- Presents a clean and neat appearance and uses a courteous manner with all guests.
- Immediately notifies MOD when guests are not satisfied with their experience or if an accident occurs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor
Experience and Education:
Sushi Helper C –
- Successful performance of the duties listed under Specific Job Duties, in addition:
- Knowledge of basic sushi roll preparation and presentation
- Approved food handling training as required by local and state laws
Sushi Helper B –
- Successful performance of all Sushi Helper C responsibilities, in addition:
- Knowledge of all rolls and rice portion control
- Ability to prepare and make piece sushi and rolls
- Experience with proper fish cleaning techniques
Sushi Helper A –
- Successful performance of all Sushi Helper B responsibilities, in addition:
- Knowledge of fish fileting techniques
- Knowledge of special rolls and sashimi preparation & presentation
Shift Flexibility: Must be able to work different shifts, include holidays, nights and weekends. Must be able to work overtime as required.
Food Knowledge, Preparation, Production and Safety: Ability to prepare food for consumption with background knowledge of proper techniques and equipment to be used. Must be able to clearly explain how food is prepared, cooked, and served to guests. Knowledge of industry standards on food storage and handling techniques is highly desirable. Knowledge of hibachi and beverages is a plus.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network! Text "Benihana" to 51893.