As a MT- Electrical at Cleveland-Cliffs Steel, your contributions will be visible all around you; the work we do here impacts people for generations to come. Ideal candidates enjoy modern, dynamic, supportive work environments and are looking for the freedom to take control of their career.
The MT – Electrical position reports to the Maintenance Manager. The primary functions of the position are to inspect, repair, replace, adjust, install, wire and maintain all electrical equipment in the plant or assigned area including power transmission lines, transformers and related equipment. Make mechanical repairs as required in connection with electrical service and maintain overhead cranes.
- Receive verbal or written instructions covering the scheduled and emergency repair, installation and inspection work to be done.
- Analyze all types of circuits and wiring diagrams to modify service, install or repair all types of electronic devices and systems, various mill electrical equipment, electronic computing and control systems, power and distribution control equipment, measuring, recording, processing and control devices, indicating devices, instrument and gauges.
- Fabricate parts as required using machine and hand tools common to the trade. Burn, braze, solder and perform simple layout, fabrication and welding in the servicing of electrical and electronic equipment, including related piping and mechanical components.
- Make repairs or adjustments to equipment such as main motor drives, generators, controls panels, delays, controllers, switchboards, circuit breakers, lighting circuits, resistors, etc.
- Install and repair conduit, splice and insulate wires and cables, make splices on hot lines, isolate circuits for repairs.
- Advise when faulty equipment should be shut down for repairs.
- Test, repair and/or adjust electronic scales to correct any variation from accuracy.
- Test, repair and adjust electrical meters, such as osillograph, tachometer, ampmeter, voltmeter, power factor meter, phase shifter, etc.
- Clean, paint and lubricate equipment such as bearing, lights, reflectors, switch boxes and phase wire grounding equipment.
- Install, repair and maintain power transmission lines transformers, high-tension sub station equipment such as disconnects, switch gear, bushings, insulator slings, lighting arrestors and phase wire grounding equipment.
- Erect poles and towers, install cross arms, insulators, pole hardware and lines, working from poles, ladders and scaffolds.
- Assist other maintenance or operating personnel in repair work as required.
- Fill out reports of maintenance work performed, parts and materials used, inspections made, etc.
- Operate crane, machinery, mobile equipment, and hydraulic lifts, erect and dismantle pipe scaffolds and perform necessary rigging duties in connection with the servicing of electrical and electronic equipment.
- Inspect all electrical equipment in the assigned area, checking motor bearings, lubrication, commutation, excessive vibration, obvious signs of wear or need for adjustment, etc. When faulty operation is observed or pointed out by operating crews, diagnose trouble using testing equipment or own judgement based on general knowledge of electrical principles.
- Reline all brake shoes.
- Maintain continuity of operations of mill electrical equipment.
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [ Email address blocked ] or call
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required and must be at least 18 years of age.
- Candidates must successfully pass a Ramsey electrical skill test.
- Must have knowledge of electrical and electronic principles
- Work experience as an electrician in an industrial manufacturing setting or coal mine a plus.
- Must be able to interpret wiring diagrams, assembly and part drawings and have the ability to use various hand tools
- Must be able to work around hazardous material and in confined spaces.
- Ability to read, understand and follow safety information, operating instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must be able to wear appropriate PPE
- Must be able to work at heights, work in extreme heat and cold, must be willing to work a rotating shift that shall include weekends and holidays, as well as climb and/or walk on uneven surfaces.
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: [ Link removed ] and [ Link removed ] . We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Cladding (Construction)
- Confined Spaces
- Control Systems
- Electrical Installation Work