Directs and coordinates activities of workers engaged in conducting credit investigations and collecting delinquent accounts of customers by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Confers with customers by telephone or email in attempt to determine reason(s) for overdue payment, reviewing terms of sales, service, or contract with customer.
- Records information about financial status of customers and status of collection efforts.
- Coordinates monthly collection efforts off A/R aging and other computerized reports for past due balances.
- Mail’s reminder letters, important past due, and final demand letters.
- Obtains and mails invoice copies for customers, as requested and issues monthly itemized statements to customers.
- Researches and processes customer claims of invoice payment.
- Researches and attempts to collect on charge backs, returns, and bad checks.
- Assigns responsibility for investigation of fraud cases, possible legal action, and collection for worthless checks and delinquent bills.
- Establishes and updates customers' credit activities.
- Review’s collection reports to ascertain status of collections and balances outstanding. Along with evaluating effectiveness of current collection policies and procedures.
- Audits delinquent accounts considered to be uncollectible to ensure maximum efforts have been taken before assigning bad debt status to account.
- Coordinates with others, including personnel in company branches and credit card companies, to exchange information and update controls.
- Submits delinquent accounts to attorney or outside agency for collection.
- Assists management in the formulation of credit policies.
- Directly supervises 1or 2 employees in the Collections Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, procedures, and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
No competency or factor selected.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of accounting software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.