The Construction Engineer is accountable to the Director, Manufacturing. They will also work closely with the Technical Manager, Contractors, EHSQS team, Management Team, other Engineers, and Plant Coordinators
Tate & Lyle is a global provider of ingredients and solutions to the food, beverage and other industries, operating from more than 30 locations around the world. Through large scale, efficient manufacturing plants, Tate & Lyle turns raw materials into distinctive, high quality ingredients. These ingredients and solutions add taste, texture, nutrition and increased functionality to products that millions of people around the world use or consume every day. We are the secret ingredient to Make Food Extraordinary in some of the world’s best loved brands. Could you be ours?
This role will contribute to the planning, design of plant projects, allocating resources to each of the project's stages, safety activities, and overseeing the engineering processes of construction projects.
Safety accountabilities – EHSQS Critical Role Level 2
Protecting our people and the environment is foundational to our business
Each team member is expected to support the Tate & Lyle culture where Environment, Health and Safety are the overriding values in all activities. Every team member is accountable for working safely and complying with all EHSQS policies, procedures and regulations relevant to their work and is expected to speak up and intervene to prevent unsafe conditions and to respect fellow workers and the communities in which we work. Included in this is abidance with our Life Saving Principles (LSPs) and our STOP WORK AUTHORITY which are developed to strengthen our workplace safety, prevent serious injury or loss of life.
Level 2 – Key Role
- Drive EHSQS Excellence Culture and Improvements in Area of Responsibility
- Focus on EHSQS Systems, Policies & Procedures and their effects on day-to-day operations
- Audit and Review EHSQS effectiveness in area
As a member of the Operations Team, incumbent shares overall responsibility for:
• Leading/ Modelling and area accountability of adherence to Global / local EHSQS Policy and Procedures
• Meeting objectives and targets for EHSQS performance and improvement
• Assigning responsibility and authority for EHSQS activities
• Providing the adequate resources needed to implement the policy
• Ensuring knowledge and skills are developed to effectively apply the EHSQS systems and standards
• Reviewing the EHSQS system to ensure its continuing suitability, adequacy, effectiveness
• Actively communicating leadership and commitment that is visible to the organizationMain accountabilities
Construction Engineer Responsibilities:
- Managing the planning and design stages of construction projects.
- Contributing technical expertise to project drawings and designs.
- Performing cost calculations and preparing financial projections.
- Preparing work schedules in collaboration with the project manager.
- Liaising between contractors, subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers.
- Overseeing construction engineering processes.
- Performing regular tests on materials and procedures to ensure compliance with industry regulations.
- Ensuring that the construction project is completed on time and within budget.
- Documenting processes and keeping detailed construction logs.
FES Duty of Care:
- Carry out responsibilities/duties according to food safety, legal and quality requirements so as to ensure that our products are fit for human consumption.
- Comply with all environmental standards, procedures and work instructions at all times.
- Report any environmental violations or near misses in order to prevent any impact upon the local environment, its inhabitants and Tate & Lyle.
Health & Safety
- Adhere to the safety policies, procedures and site rules.
- Fully participate in the safety program, including reporting any incidents or near misses and auditing.
The incumbent will be measured against site EHSQS, Quality, Production, Reliability and Leadership goalsSkills and experience required
- At least 2 years’ experience as a construction engineer in the relevant field of specialization.
- In-depth knowledge of construction industry regulations.
- Exceptional leadership, project management, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Great mathematical, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Availability to visit the construction site outside of business hours, when relevant.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical engineering technology, or similar.
California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA")
The Company is committed to complying with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and all data privacy and laws in the jurisdictions in which it recruits and hires employees. We collect the following categories of personal information for the purpose of hiring the best qualified applicants and to comply with applicable employment laws: Name and contact information; Job preference and work availability; Social Security Number and/or other identification information; Education and qualifications; Employment history and experience; Military service; Reference and background check information, including relevant criminal history and credit history; Social media information; Pre-employment test results; Post-offer medical examination information and results, including drug test results; Voluntary self-disclosure information regarding minority, veteran, and disability status; and Information provided by you during the hiring process.
Tate & Lyle is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of an inclusive workforce.
- Decision Making
- Time Management
- Complex Problem Solving
- Verbal Communication