Does a career focused on changing the world's energy future intrigue you? If so, we might have just the opportunity you're looking for!
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Condensed Matter & Materials Physics group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as a Laser-based mesoscale thermal transport Postdoctoral Research Associate! Our team works an on-site 9x80 schedule located at our INL Research Center with every other Friday off.
The distinguished postdoctoral research programs are designed to attract, recruit, develop and inspire early career researchers who have the potential to develop into INL's future scientific and technical leaders. These highly competitive appointments are intended to recognize and provide distinguished postdoctoral associates with experience, mentoring and training to develop their capabilities. The engagement of early career research talent is critical to the success of INL's mission areas.
* Focus on advanced laser metrology, designing and implementing photothermal experiments, performing mesoscale measurements of thermal transport properties in actinide material systems, and analyzing results.
* Lead experimental activities relating to the mesoscopic thermal transport thrust of the Center for Thermal Energy Transport under Irradiation (TETI).
* Contribute to, and actively engage in multi-institution collaborative research projects involving other experimental (crystal synthesis, advanced microstructure characterization) and theoretical (first principles and microstructure evolution modeling) personnel.
* Contribute to developing proposals for new research projects from internal and external funding sources.
* characterize structure and function of individual grain boundaries using ultrafast pump-probe photoacoustic spectroscopy;
* design and implement innovative in-pile metrology for the monitoring of thermal transport in active reactor conditions;
* perform fundamental studies of defect accumulation and material performance in chemically-complex ceramic systems including defect formation, thermal carrier scattering, and strain localization;
* Design ion beam irradiation regimes for both the fundamental study of defect effects in model materials and to emulate those conditions found in operational nuclear systems.
* Represent INL and the Energy and Environment Science and Technology (EES&T) directorate at national and international technical meetings, working groups, etc.
* Organize and plan advanced research tasks and apply a wide range of research techniques to those tasks.
* Conduct and document work at an appropriate quality level.
* Serve as a technical resource to others, both senior and junior to current designation.
* Engage in mentorship activities of at least one graduate student.
* Perform laboratory activities commensurate with the level of familiarity and experience gained through research at INL.
* Develop technical and thought leadership associated with relevant technical areas of interest.
* Continue to develop customer relationships in key technical areas. This includes building meaningful relationship that lead to funding of research activities, acquisition of new capabilities and formation of strong and resourceful collaborative research teams to enhance scientific work and endeavors at INL
* Engage in technical activities that result in the national and international recognition of B615, EES&T and INL.
* Enhancement of scientific stature and recognition nationally and internationally.
* Serve on technical advisory, regulatory and code committees.
* Technical presentations at national and international meetings, symposia and conferences.
* Work with the laboratory and with domestic peers to carryout cooperative programs. It shall also include Interfacing and relationship management with sponsors and customers of scientific work being carried out.
* Publish peer reviewed scientific articles in internationally recognized journals as well as pursue opportunities for authorship of other publications like book sections and edited scientific volumes and books.
* Plan and implement research as outlined in position role as both Participant and Principal Investigator. Maintains currency in the relevant scientific literature.
* Preparation of reports and peer-reviewed scientific publications.
* Collate such reports as Principal Investigator from research participants including University Partners.
* Support representation of the Department through programmatic and technical presentations to sponsors and peers at conferences and symposia, including the organization of such symposia.
* Meet ES&H goals and perform all work in an environmentally safe and compliant manner.
* PhD in condensed matter physics, materials science or comparable fields.
* A strong background in laser metrology (e.g. thermal wave microscopy, coherent acoustic phonon spectroscopy, time resolved measurements).
* A strong background in irradiation and defect effects on materials performance with a focus on designing and conducting ion beam irradiation experiments.
* An interest and background in designing both metals and ceramics for utilization in extreme conditions based on performance characteristics.
* Demonstrated oral and published written communication skills (in English).
* Demonstrated ability to propose, compile, and assemble teams for multi-institution responses to Funding Opportunity Announcements.
* Management and organization skills to successfully meet research and development goals for multi-institution collaborative projects.
* Salary $90,900.00
* Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Laser-based mesoscale thermal transport Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Assembly And Installation
- Business Relationship Management
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Condensed Matter