Director, UX - Assessment & Response
Defend the digital world and design the future of security at Rapid7! As cybercriminals become more sophisticated, we need to provide simple, yet powerful solutions to help our customers defend their cloud environments. Are you up for the challenge?
Our team is looking for an inspirational Director, User Experience to lead our growing Assessment & Response practice. This Director will lead and mentor a team of user experience designers, product content creators and researchers who develop thoughtful product experiences and help our customers achieve their cybersecurity goals.
In this role, you'll partner with your product management, engineering, and marketing counterparts to:
* Define and drive the execution of a multi-year experience strategy
* Partner and collaborate in the evolution of our Cloud Security, Vulnerability Management and Application Security solutions within Rapid7
* Influence the future of the rapidly evolving Cloud Security market
A snapshot of the work you'll be doing:
As Director, User Experience you will report to the Sr. Director, Products - Assessment & Response, and be instrumental in helping to define the product and experience strategy for cloud security at Rapid7. You will be responsible for articulating, both verbally and visually, our multi-year user experience strategy and ensuring alignment across various teams as well as at the practice leadership level. You will manage a mix of managers and individual contributors, providing them with professional development, creative direction, and dedicated mentorship. This includes working with the team to realize strategy, and help evolve their leadership capabilities in order to develop a bench of leaders to grow the practice vertically.
You and your team's major areas of focus will be:
* Partnering within a customer-centric, outcomes-focused cybersecurity practice and building deep understanding of the cybersecurity user and their challenges, including risk prioritization, in-product value realization experiences, and out-of-product API driven experiences.
* Elevating the Cloud Security practice user experience end-to-end, from problem definition and discovery, exploration, and design through delivery. This involves standard design methods such as discovery workshops, user interviews, user flows, journey maps, sketches, low to high fidelity mockups, and functional prototypes.
* Directing across the Assessment & Response practice and proactively influencing, managing, and planning UX team projects and practice-wide initiatives. This includes translating strategy, customer needs, research findings, and usability best practices into high quality, customer-centric design solutions that support and reinforce product vision, brand, and customer outcomes.
* Leading the development of content experiences, identifying and advocating for documentation needs, and establishing a cohesive voice and tone across our product brand.
* Ensuring all user personas involved in the cloud security, vulnerability management and application security process have a voice, including security practitioners, developers/devops, and security executives.
* Collaborating across multiple practices and geographically distributed teams to unite designers as a collective, and enabling cohesive experiences within our platform and brand portfolio.
* Mentoring junior members on the team and working with fellow UXers across practices to establish a tight knit culture of growth, learning, and strong UX advocacy.
You and your team will also work hand-in-hand with:
* Product Management and Go-To-Customer experts to identify and balance user needs, business goals, technical feasibility, the end-to-end customer experience, and time-to-market to determine the best design solutions that drive customer outcomes.
* Customer Research to coordinate, manage, and/or run user interviews, user testing, and other research functions to evaluate customer needs, effectiveness of design solutions, and to help drive adoption of the solutions your team creates.
* Software Engineering in direct partnership and collaboration, early technical feasibility discussions, and understanding of design intent as it pertains to user need and solution implementation.
Qualifications and Traits
* Strong leadership: you lead by example and drive the design vision and strategy for your product area, while also working alongside your team on tactical details with domain knowledge and design expertise. You embody servant leadership, and believe success in your role is growing leaders within your team.
* Unafraid of ambiguity: you push forward and help the team navigate when the direction seems unclear. You not only lead in defining that direction, but you also help to build up this skill in the UX team you're working with.
* Ability to synthesize complex concepts into usable and polished design deliverables: you skillfully translate strategy, business requirements, research findings, and usability best practices into high quality, customer-centric design solutions that support and reinforce product vision, brand, and business objectives.
* Awareness that successful product design is about tradeoffs: you balance and identify user experience, business needs, technical feasibility, and time-to-market to determine the best design solutions that meet customer goals.
* Ruthlessly prioritization, documentation and accountability: you coach your team on how to break down complex problems, write and test hypotheses, craft success measures, and thoughtfully iterate from "minimal lovable" to mature, best-in-class product experiences.
* Enablement of process as a means to deliver value: you understand the complete design lifecycle with relation to agile principles and software development, and work with stakeholders to balance the right amount of process with a focus on driving customer outcomes.
* Belief that deep partnership is the root of success: you naturally build strong partnerships across the organization, and you know how to create consensus, drive alignment, and influence outside your reporting chain.
* Strong and dynamic communication skills: you have the ability to tell a story and craft a narrative that compels your audience, drives alignment, and prompts action.
* Infusion of energy, enthusiasm, and curiosity: you bring yourself every day, and cultivate an environment where continuous learning and disciplined risk taking are supported and encouraged.
* We are looking for a candidate that has roughly 10+ years of relevant experience: this includes 4+ years holding roles managing product designers, UX designers, content creators, and/or technical writers.
* We don't require cybersecurity experience: it's a great asset, but ultimately we're looking for someone with great UX instincts that can identify patterns and needs across our customer base, and synthesize these complexities into usable and polished design solutions. We know there will be a ramp-up period, and will support your journey into this exciting field!
* We need someone that can travel occasionally, both domestically and internationally (of course, once it's safe to do so): there are team members present across North America and Europe. You'll work directly with team members in Boston, MA; Arlington, VA; and Dublin, Ireland.
Our UX Philosophy
As experience practitioners, we believe our ability to deliver real, sustainable customer value hinges on using the skills of design to help teams reach confident shared understanding, and include people of every expertise in the creation of design solutions.
There are several key pillars of our philosophy that make this possible:
* Everyone owns and is accountable to the experience. We partner across practices and departments to help uncover customer needs, and create a shared knowledge that empowers everyone as user champions. This ensures that we truly deliver the right experience that helps our customers meet their outcomes.
* Inclusive design at every step of the way. Collaboration and partnership are at the heart of what we do. The only way we achieve customer outcomes is together. We bring in folks as subject-matter experts, empower them to be part of the design process, and facilitate shared accountability to the customer experience. We discover, design, and deliver together!
* Embody the missionary mindset. We recognize that making products is a messy and interdependent process, so it's critical for everyone to take a relational rather than transactional approach when engaging one another. It's often more about motivating people around the right goals, customer insights, and activities than checking boxes for requirements. We rally around the customer and their needs to drive this shared purpose!
* Experience is about putting the customer journey at the center. Our bread and butter is the craft itself. We use the tools of design-research, user flows, interactions, content, interfaces, maps, journeys, and more-to help teams stay focused and motivated to help customers achieve their outcomes.
Rapid7 (Nasdaq: RPD) is advancing security with visibility, analytics, and automation delivered through our Insight cloud. Our solutions simplify the complex, allowing security teams to work more effectively with IT and development to reduce vulnerabilities, monitor for malicious behavior, investigate and shut down attacks, and automate routine tasks. Over 10,000 customers rely on Rapid7 technology, services, and research to improve security outcomes and securely advance their organization. For more information, visit our website, check out our blog, or follow us on LinkedIn.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
- Agile Methodology
- Application Security
- Brand Identity
- Business Planning
- Business Requirements