The VP, Government Relations & Policy, will be responsible for leading Univision’s day-to-day government relations efforts in support of Univision’s legislative, regulatory, and policy goals and priorities. The individual will drive Univision’s presence and position in Washington D.C., and in state capitols related to issues impacting the company, industry, and community. The individual will work closely with key internal and external constituents to identify and pursue opportunities to advance the objectives of Univision and the industry.
The ideal candidate will have media and/or broadcast experience, be capable of leading high level meetings with members of Congress, federal agencies, national community organizations, trade groups, industry advocacy groups, and other Washington D.C. influencers, as well as comparable state and local officials and influencers who have an impact on Univision’s business operations across the country.
- Develop creative government relations strategies to support Univision business interests and support the company’s advocacy efforts on select issues. working closely with senior leadership and key external stakeholder groups
- Manage internal personnel involved in government relations matters and a roster of outside consulting firms. Includes providing clear direction on expectations and deliverables.
- Partner closely and successfully with internal and external lawyers who work on issues with legal and policy components (e.g., communications, privacy).
- Build and maintain strong relationships with relevant government officials, legislative offices, industry partners and thought leaders, both in Washington D.C., and in relevant state capitols.
- Provide leadership and oversight in initiating projects that will positively impact the company’s relationship with elected officials, regulators, policymakers, and national community groups.
- Develop and execute complex political and policy strategies.
- Consistently exercise independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Anticipate emerging federal and state government, public or community/social issues of importance to the broadcast/media industry and to position the company effectively to handle such issues in all aspects.
- Demonstrate leadership skills, including ability to advance company interests in venues that require consensus building.
- Represent the company as a spokesperson, exhibiting stature and experience.
- Flexibility and creativity in problem solving, particularly in negotiations with government officials and agencies.
- Analyze and understand the business impact of proposed legislation and regulations at state and local level.
- Plan and execute public affairs activities including virtual/in-person events involving public officials.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience
- 10+ years of government relations or public affairs management in the United States
- Strong, pre-existing relationships and credibility with government officials and relevant third parties in the United States
- Previous lobbying or advocacy experience
- Demonstrated experience developing and successfully advancing policy initiatives
- Bachelors Degree or 15+ years of relevant experience
Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience and knowledge of the U.S. Hispanic and Multicultural communities.
- Experience developing and executing complex political policy strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills. Strong executive presence; ability to interact effectively at the highest level of an organization and the savvy to communicate and synthesize complex issues crisply, clearly and convincingly
- Superior influencing skills; ability to gain the respect of, and build a rapport with, multiple constituencies, internally and externally
- Excellent communication skills and public speaking ability
- Demonstrated success in roles of increasing responsibility
- Ability to work in fast-paced team environment and flexibility to accommodate demanding projects schedules
- Able to maintain a flexible work schedule, including weekends, as needed
- Fluency in Spanish preferred but not required
- Must be willing to work from offices in Washington, D.C.
- Employment/education will be verified
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis