To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Houston, TX
- Parker Drilling Management Services Inc
- Phone: (281) 406-2326
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Senior Electrical Engineer
Parker Drilling • Houston, TX
Posted 29 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Utilize electrical engineering fundamentals to design integrated drilling systems and fit-for-purpose products to support drilling functions. This is a senior level engineering position responsible for engineering practices to support the electrical engineering department on both project and compliance related matters.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Primary job functions for this position may include the following items:
Learn and develop skills and knowledge
- Develop hands-on experience and field exposure.
- Develop discipline specific technical knowledge.
- Learn and utilize Parker Drilling's processes and procedures.
Create and review engineering and design documentation.
- Create discipline specific engineering and design document(s) for Technical Service Requests (TSR's) and projects.
- Review and comment on engineering and design document(s) for Technical Service Requests (TSR's) and projects.
- Support project controls related to engineering.
Manage others to ensure successful delivery of scope related items, and provide mentorship and coaching to support rapid employee development.
- Provide mentorship and coaching to support rapid employee development
- Manage internal engineers and support staff to ensure timely delivery of project documents.
- Manage external engineers and support staff including subcontractors and consultants to ensure timely delivery of project documents.
- Manage vendors and fabricators to ensure delivery of equipment, structures and/or rigs.
- Provide coaching by passing on skills, knowledge, and relevant work experiences.
Communication is an essential component of the Senior Electrical Engineer job function.
- Interface with other Parker Drilling business units.
- Interface with existing and new customers and vendors.
Position Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An individual must have the following qualifications to perform this job successfully.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering from an accredited university is required.
- Being a licensed Professional Engineer is preferred.
- Previous work experience with a drilling contractor or other related company with direct contact to the drilling industry is required.
- The ability to read, write, and speak English is required. Fluency in a foreign language is considered a benefit for this position.
The individual should be proficient at the following general and technical skills:
- Strong PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite, analytical software (Mathcad, ETAP, SKM), computer-aided design software (AutoCAD, Inventor, etc.).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Problem solving using systematic approach to define inputs, outputs, assumptions, issues, acceptance criteria, methodology, and conclusions.
- Must have good written and verbal technical communication skills including writing reports, emails, and presentations at various organizational levels (peers, internal clients, and external clients).
- Coordinates technical issues with other departments on projects, including constructability requirements/considerations and reviews.
- Knowledge with engineering deliverables such as datasheets, material specifications, material requisitions, scope of work, and data registers.
- Knowledge on technical decision making methodology, including evaluating alternative solutions.
The individual should have proficient electrical engineering knowledge related to the following items:
- Ability to create electrical power system calculations and understands electrical software (ETAP) for calculating short circuit, motor starting, voltage drop, harmonic current.
- Ability to interpret and/or design electrical and instrumentation systems using drawing schematics such as electrical one-lines, P&ID's, and logic narratives.
- Knowledge of power generation equipment including engines, generator sets, switchgear, variable frequency drives (VFD), motor control center (MCC), silicon-controlled rectifier (SCR) and transformers.
- Knowledge of fire and gas detection systems including the use of Cause and Effect Matrices.
- Familiar with major regulations and industry codes (GOST, IEC, NEC, API, NFPA) and standards affecting standard design work in designated discipline.
The individual should have proficient drilling knowledge related to the following items:
- Drilling equipment, structures, well control, and process/utility systems.
- Drilling operations and rig crew functions.
- Code requirements pertaining to the design, construction, safety, and operation of both land and offshore drilling rigs including but not limited to API, ASME, ASCE, IEEE, ASHRAE, etc.
Additionally, it is preferred if the individual displays knowledge on the following topics:
- Working knowledge of project management tools including cost estimations, contracts, and scheduling.
- Working knowledge of project management concepts related to project initiation, project planning, project execution, project monitoring and controlling, and project closing.
- Management and leadership concepts including leading people, driving results, leading change, business acumen, and building coalitions.
- Construction, fabrication and manufacturing concepts related to drilling rigs.
- Knowledge and experience with rig and equipment testing and commissioning including systems integrated testing (SIT) and integrated acceptance testing (IAT).
Engineers at this position should display and embody the following work values.
- Willingness to learn and passion for continued improvement through embracement of new assignments and challenges.
- Hands-on and field activities/exposure
- Exposure to projects ranging in size from small to large.
- Organized and efficient execution of assigned deliverables through timely and correct decision making for self and for the group or business unit.
- Schedule familiarization relative to deadlines and associated impacts.
- Team coordination within the engineering group, internal clients, and external clients.
- Total rig concept development to meet client needs.
- Encouragement of team members and engineering group with mentorship and guidance to individual performers
- Conflict resolution related to designs through technical coordination.
- Holistic and Interdisciplinary approach to solving problems.
- Assign at any moment for project lead.
- Improvement through creativity, innovation, optimization, and efficiency.
- Accepting company values including integrity, honesty, and ethics.
The physical demands must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, lift materials (maximum 50 pounds), carry, push, pull, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements. Hearing, seeing (including depth perception and peripheral vision), ability of rapid mental coordination. Mentally alert for entire regular shift.
This position may work in various locations - both in the U.S. and internationally. Some locations may be subject to extreme temperatures, hostile environments, civil unrest, etc. Also, travel to and from work location may require extended layovers in unfamiliar locations. Potential for exposure to temperature changes, wetness, confined spaces, chemicals, grease and oil, working with ladder/scaffolds, working with hands in water, and working alone. Parker Drilling will supply adequate training and equipment to meet the functions of the job.
* Ensure that personal behaviors and work practices are in line with Company safety standards.
* Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, vendors and guests.
* Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk.
* Do not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk.
* Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure.
* As needed, seek advice from HSE representative.