TITLE: Plant Integration Systems Engineer
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower® is a nuclear energy technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At our core, we are working to raise living standards globally. The essential factor? Energy. In 2006, the company originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment.\u202f\u202fTerraPower’s\u202fmission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field.\u202fTerraPower\u202fis committed to bringing sustainable, affordable and safe energy to address global issues.\u202fAs a result, the company’s\u202factivities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical production of medical isotopes. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Plant Integration Systems Engineer
The Plant Integration Systems Engineer reports directly to the System Design Manager and is focused on the integrated design of plant systems, structures and integrated analysis of the facility. In this role, you will act as a Plant Design Engineer for TerraPower’s advanced nuclear reactor projects or other highly technical projects. The successful candidate will coordinate with engineers working on systems, components, or engineering analysis areas such as safety analysis, thermal analysis, stress analysis, and/or process/control analysis. The Plant Integration Systems Engineer will work as part of a high-performing team of engineers and scientists.
- Responsible for coordinating geographically diverse design team members to develop supporting design documentation. The team is composed of TerraPower employees, subcontracted resources, partner employees, and customers.
- Develop, maintain, and refine plant level and system level requirement and specification documents, including digital design tools and configuration management processes.
- Apply Systems Engineering principles, methods, and tools to the design of nuclear and industrial facility and its systems.
- Develop and control the integrated definition of facility functions, performance, and design compliance through development and implementation of processes and associated data infrastructures.
- Develop and implement processes and tools to support design work, including management of engineering databases and tracking and resolving of open items.
- Support design reviews and resolution of cross functional technical concerns.
- Ensure that licensing and code requirements are clearly established and implemented in the design.
- Support and implement the integrated design processes to coordinate contractors, engineering disciplines, and system design organizations to implement design control including change control, and application of approved methodology design tools.
- Support monitoring and appraisal of design organizations, partners, contractors, and subcontractors’ performance to ensure that all technical requirements for the design are effectively and correctly implemented.
- Coordinate and oversee multi-system integrated analyses, such as heat balance, transient response, safety analysis coupling, etc., where multiple distinct codes or software packages are utilized.
- Coordinate and lead planning efforts and maintain schedule adherence for design activities.
- Interface with the design team to create and manage drawing packages of integrated system, including but not limited to Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), 3D models, and system interface drawings.
- Interface with design disciplines to identify and develop design information and specify system design and performance criteria.
- Generate design package for key systems and plant features including coordination of calculations, design reports, mechanical drawings, and engineering design specifications.
- Support continuous learning and application of nuclear industry best practices in order to maintain the highest quality of engineering design and proactively identify process change/enhancement opportunities.
- Support licensing activities associated with Safety Analysis Reports.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- B.S. degree in Systems or relevant engineering discipline from an accredited university and 8+ years direct experience with proven system design skills; Advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing Systems Engineering design approach in industrial or other high complexity, high regulatory environment.
- Experience in implementing integrated plant design of nuclear systems, including complex systems and structures, equipment of high temperature design, and radioactive system highly desired but not required.
- Strong understanding of configuration management principles, as well as knowledge of design control tools application on nuclear or similar complex industrial applications.
- Knowledge of Risk Informed methodologies for integrated plant design or similar probabilistic methods in design, desired but not required.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail and aspiration for technical excellence.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to coordinate and lead a design team’s effort with minimal direction.
- Ability to handle projects that include many competing objectives and design constraints, with ability to resolve conflicts between objectives.
- Ability to work on tasks that require a multi-disciplinary approach.
- Experience working to quality standards on design activities, such as ASME NQA-1 or ISO 9001.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, able to communicate openly, and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
- Actual position starting level and title will be determined based on assessment of qualifications.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position.\u202f These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job, which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation.\u202f Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations.\u202f An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be\u202fdiscussed and workplace\u202faccommodations may\u202fbe made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 20 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standing and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required\u202f 0-5%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Please visit [ Link removed ] to apply
Engineering Design Process