Responsibilities include managing and administering the group health & welfare plans as well as retirement/post-employment plans and workers compensation for US organizations. This position manages one Benefits Specialist and ensures excellence in service delivery as well as vendor relationship management, manages both Company and statutory leaves with knowledge of US state laws critical. Manages relevant employee and retiree communication, actively advocates for participation in wellness plans and strategies, working with the finance/accounting team maintains focus on plan cost and budget, etc. This position compiles, analyzes, and reports data relevant to cost and utilization of plans, recommends plan changes and enhancements. Serves as an employee contact and advocate for the resolution of benefit questions and issues and provides guidance to the HRIS team for plan setup with ongoing auditing for accuracy and compliance. Serves as a liaison with service providers in business planning and benefit program interpretation. Serves as liaison with external partners, legal, actuarial, vendors, etc.
* Responsible for the oversight of day-to-day benefit program administration: communication, enrollment (New Hire and annual Open Enrollment), processing of benefit change activities, and partnering with internal/external business partners to troubleshoot and resolve issues, both system and process related.
* Responsible for the administration of worker's compensation policies. Processes and maintains all worker's compensation claims and regularly follows-up on active claims. Ensures compliance with OSHA by maintaining the proper documentation, submitting the necessary documentation to the carriers for processing, and posting the annual OSHA log at each facility.
* Responsible for the Leave of Absence policies, STD/FMLA and LTD policies and practices within federal and state regulations and coordinates with external vendors and internal stakeholders
* Manage the Benefit meetings and vendor relationships for all benefits including health & welfare, wellness, 401k, Pension and leaves, WC, and the annual benefit open enrollment process.
* Manages time off programs including holidays, paid time off, etc.
* Responsible for reconciling monthly billing statements for timely payment and accurate enrollments.
* Monitors eligibility, limitations, and restrictions of plan participations and ensures compliance with both plan provisions and government requirements.
* Provides guidance and counsel to employees, HRIS, and managers on the requirements and provisions of benefit programs and assist with the resolution of potential problems.
* Coordinates the design and communication of annual benefit enrollment materials.
* Develops, conducts, and participates in a variety of presentations to inform and educate management and employees about changes to benefit plans, administrative practices and legislated requirements and programs.
* Responsible for data necessary to complete government compliance activities (5500s, audits, 40l(k) NDT etc.), employee mailings, vendor billings, coordinating data collection and updating numerous reports for management. Assures processes and procedures are in place to capture and maintain consistent and accurate benefit related data. Assists with employee data auditing and reporting.
* Ensures that company procedures and policies are communicated and federal and state required postings are kept up to date.
* Oversees/directs the administration of COBRA compliance.
* Responsible for the handling of all benefit related tasks in Workday (create, complete, process benefit transactions, manage Evidence of Insurability (EOI), collaborates with the HRIS team to review error reports and resolve errors, ensures accurate processing and status in Workday Leave Absence Management System, support annual benefit open enrollment, ACA reporting compliance, and provides assistance to the HRIS team during Workday updates as a functional user for benefits to ensure that the business processes are functioning correctly.
* Compiles, analyzes and reports benefit data including employee, benefit plan and financial for Benefit's strategic planning and evaluation, best practices, and benchmark surveys.
* Responsible for Pension benefit requests and communication to actuaries.
* Primary contact for all retiree claims (Pension and Retiree Medical eligible employees) and questions.
* Responsible for the handling of life insurance/ and leave claims
* Provide recommendations for new plan offerings and design changes.
* Direct contact for all benefit related questions.
* Oversight of benefit audits and testing.
* Continually researches methods to continue to automate and streamline benefit processes resulting in a more efficient manner to access all benefit information.
* Responsible for managing the employee education reimbursement program.
* Conducts the benefit portion of the new hire orientation.
* Responsible for coordinating wellness events.
* Prepares special reports as needed.
* Bachelor's degree in HR, business, or related field. Excellent communication skills with adaptability to various communication platforms
* Minimum of 7+ years' experience in a directly related position.
* Maintains current knowledge and understanding of regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws regarding human resources.
* Workday experience is required.
* Broad knowledge of US benefit and leave related requirements needed and experience on Canada benefits a strong plus
* Must have knowledge and capability in benefit financial aspects including funding, investment strategies for 401(k) and pension plans.
* Establishes credibility throughout the organization with management and employees by being an effective listener and problem solver including interfacing with global colleagues.
* Introduces and encourages "best practices" to Company where appropriate.
* Demonstrated effective leadership skills including sound judgment and strong influencing skills.
* MS Office including advance skills with Excel. PowerPoint and Word
* Excellent communication and decision-making skills.
* Ability to maintain the highest confidentiality and work independently and as a team player.
* Ability to prioritize and provide feedback and observations as it relates to departmental performance.
* Ability to research information on various subject types and provide concise reports.
* Must have strong quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
* Ability to work cross-organizationally, prioritize and work effectively during periods of high pressure.
* Self-starter that's able to perform in a fast-paced change environment.
* Proficient knowledge of state and federal employee benefits, leave laws (HIPPA, COBRA, STD/FMLA/LTD, ADA, W/C, OSHA, ERISA) as well as tax rules for FSA and HSA plans
* Project management experience preferred
* Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) certification preferred
* HRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential preferred
Your ZEISS Recruiting Team:
Debra Ann Rybolt
- Actuarial Science