By joining our team, you’ll be part of our life-changing Mission and Vision. You’ll work in a truly inclusive environment where diversity and equity are championed through words and actions. You’ll contribute to an innovative culture that is second to none, one that embraces curiosity, discovery and compassion. You’ll play a role in something that’s never been done before as we integrate science and clinical care to help patients achieve better, faster outcomes — as we Advance Human Ability, together.
Job Description Summary
The Data Analyst - Research Specialist will be part of the Enterprise Data Analytics team in the Information Technology department. The analyst will support the needs of Shirley Ryan AbilityLab researchers by utilizing the Enterprise Data Warehouse, REDCap, and interfaces between the two systems. The Data Analyst - Research Specialist will work with cross-functional stakeholders at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab to help facilitate data requests, data engineering, and data collection for our researchers.
The Data Analyst - Research Specialist will consistently demonstrate support of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Data Analyst - Research Specialist will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
The Data Analyst - Research Specialist:
- Gathers, profiles, and analyzes data to support research requirements for data engineering and data collection.
- Collaborates with research experts and staff from multiple business units to understand and implement research requirements.
- Generates reports that ensure data integrity by applying data extraction and processing methods.
- Performs data manipulation on large sets of data to facilitate identification of potential research participants and to produce data sets for statistical analysis.
- Combines data from different sources and conducts source to target mapping.
- Identifies trends and patterns in data and creates data visualizations.
- Performs complex analysis including statistical regression and forecasting.
- Drives analytical rigor across the organization to guide decision making in the context of research projects.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
- Reports to the Executive Director, CRA
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Data Science, Engineering or related field. Masters preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience with a comprehensive knowledge of data modeling, database tools, and database concepts (e.g. relational databases, Enterprise Data Warehouses, data modeling for research etc.) and continues developing professional expertise.
- Minimum of 2 years of SQL scripting experience required. PostgreSQL experience preferred.
- Data cleaning, engineering, and munging experience with scripting and programming languages such as Python, PERL, Ruby, PHP, Java, R/Shiny, etc., as well as building interfaces using APIs. Strong preference for Python experience.
- Hands-on Experience with the Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) application and the REDCap API.
- Healthcare experience highly desired, especially familiarity with ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT, and other healthcare vocabularies, as well as HIPAA regulations as they relate to research.
- Hands-on Experience with compiling data sets for research purposes and statistical analysis.
- Hands-on Experience with clinical and behavioral research methods.
- Hands-on Experience with electronic medical/health record systems (EMRs/EHRs), with preference for Cerner.
- Hands-on experience with statistical software packages and data mining tools (e.g. R, Python, SPSS, Weka, etc.).
- Hands-on experience with industry leading data visualization and BI tools (e.g. Business Objects, Microsoft PowerBI, Cognos, Tableau, OBIEE, Qlikview, Knowi, etc.).
- Strong strategic, analytical, technical, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability in engaging and communicating with stakeholders, across both business and technology functions.
- Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ShirleyRyan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Cpt Coding
- Clinical Works
- Data Analysis