Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges-and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day-working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE-and make a difference with us. The Collaboration & Social Computing Department has an opportunity for highly motivated candidates with skills in human computer interaction, user centered design, or human factors combined with some or all of the following: collaboration, human-machine teaming, social computing, and/or group decision support systems. These skills would be employed to solve critical technological problems for our Government sponsors and enhance the user experience in Government systems and experimental prototypes. Responsibilities include: * Employ user centered design/user experience engineering to solve usability and design challenges: Lead research to understand user work practices and needs, gather requirements, lead the development of prototypes and proofs-of-concept, iterate on design with stakeholders, and rapidly prototype with user interface mockups.
* Lead user centered design efforts, usability studies, and evaluation of systems
* Work collaboratively with development teams to develop prototypes for stakeholders
* Provide technical advice and make recommendations for acquiring or implementing group decision support and collaboration technology
* Innovate and envision, i.e., think out of the box, generate the next great idea in collaboration and social computing, make an impact on current work practices
* Incorporate knowledge of academic research into the design of next-generation Government systems
* Document work, produce and brief presentations, and write technical reports and papers for publication
* Partner with researchers from outside of MITRE to ensure that we bring state-of-the-art research to bear on sponsors' most critical problems.
* Propose and perform high-quality research Behaviors * Develop and maintain trusted relationships with sponsors.
* Develop and maintain trusted relationships with leaders across tech centers, work programs, and portfolios.
* Maintain relationships with scientific, academic, government, and industry communities.
* Develop and share best practices, tools, labs, and research activities.
* Serve as a role model by meeting high standards and keeping up with the domain of collaboration and social computing.
Minimum Qualifications * BS, MS, or PhD in human factors, human computer interaction, computer science, or a related field
* 8+ years of related experience
* Applicants selected for this position will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances Required Qualifications * Technical depth and stature in applying collaboration theory, human centered design, and systems engineering knowledge to the design of collaboration and social computing systems, such that he or she is a respected thought leader.
* Strong external technical stature as a researcher, demonstrated via publications, publication citations, conference presentations, participation in panels, scientific appointments, and/or teaching engagements.
* Demonstrated track record of successful utilization of systems engineering, human-centered design, and social science methods in conducting research.
* Demonstrated ability to develop trusted networks and collaborate with others to plan/execute research and align its outcomes with sponsor needs and technical challenges.
* Ability to improve the quality and outcomes of large, complex, and multiple research efforts. PreferredQualifications: * Candidates holding an active DoD Top Secret/SCI clearance are highly preferred. This requisition requires the candidate to have a minimum of the following clearance(s): This requisition requires the hired candidate to have or obtain, within one year from the date of hire, the following clearance(s): Subject to all federal and state laws, rules and regulations, MITRE requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated prior to their employment start date. MITRE will provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who are legally entitled to an exemption under applicable laws so long as it does not create an undue hardship for MITRE and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of the employee or others in the workplace. MITRE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. MITRE recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of age; ancestry; color; family medical or genetic information; gender identity and expression; marital, military, or veteran status; national and ethnic origin; physical or mental disability; political affiliation; pregnancy; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; and any other protected characteristics. For further information please visit the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission website EEO is the Law Poster , EEO is the Law Poster-Supplement and Pay Transparency . MITRE intends to maintain a website that is fully accessible to all individuals. If you are unable to search or apply for jobs and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of MITRE's employment process, please contact MITRE's Recruiting Help Line at
or email at . Copyright © 1997-2021, The MITRE Corporation. All rights reserved. MITRE is a registered trademark of The MITRE Corporation. Material on this site may be copied and distributed with permission only. Benefits information may be found here
- Cladding (Construction)
- Classified Information
- Decision Support Systems
- Human Computer Interaction