Senior Structural Engineer
Jacobs Technology Group is a performance unit of the Jacobs Critical Mission Solutions (CMS) Line of Business. The Jacobs CMS Technology Group specializes in the design, construction, and operation of unique and complex research and development facilities, including, as examples, wind tunnels (aerospace, automotive, and motorsports), rocket test stands, climatic chambers, jet engine test cells, acoustic chambers, altitude test facilities, captive trajectory systems, and nuclear facilities.
Our projects span the automotive, motorsports, defense, nuclear, and aerospace markets. Recent clients include Audi, Boeing, BMW, Fiat Chrysler, Ford, Honda, General Motors, NASA, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Department of Energy, Volkswagen, and many others in North America, Europe, and Asia.
Our capabilities and some recent project photos and videos can be found in the downloadable zip file at [ Link removed ] . Use “anontg” as both the username and password.
Most of your designs will be unique, and you will usually be working on several projects at one time in a dynamic, challenging, and even fun environment. This position will provide you with an exciting opportunity to lead and manage structural projects as part of a multi-discipline team of professionals.
We are looking for a structural engineer who will work to ensure client satisfaction and deliver key structural projects within scope, budget, and schedule. You should be a self-motivated professional with at least 15 years of progressive structural design experience.
- Lead and manage other structural engineers and drafters through all phases of project planning, execution, and construction.
- Provide complete design solutions from concept to final design and construction.
- Apply design loading to structures utilizing applicable building codes and design codes.
- Design and analyze structures to meet project specific and code requirements utilizing both hand and finite element analysis (STAAD and/or ANSYS preferred).
- Develop engineering design calculation packages, which may include static, dynamic, blast, vibration, and thermal stresses, utilizing both hand analysis and finite element analysis.
- Oversee designer/drafters in the development of 3D models and 2D construction drawings.
- Develop construction bid packages which typically include calculations, specifications, and drawings.
- Perform post design activities which may include review of subcontractor submittals, RFI’s, and shop drawings. Perform site inspections at fabricators shops and construction sites to ensure facility is construction to contract documents.
- Provide leadership for junior engineers and drafter/designers.
- Coordinate and communicate design solutions with clients and other engineering disciplines – including presentations, reports, studies, design review meetings, and training.
- Assist with project planning, cost estimating, proposals, project management, and marketing.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplined team to meet project budgets and schedules.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND /OR SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- BS or MS Degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or related engineering field.
- 15 years of experience in the design and analysis of structural systems. PE license is a plus.
- Must be proficient in finite element modeling (STAAD and/or ANSYS software or equivalent).
- Must be proficient in the use of building codes such as IBC, AISC, ACI, and ASCE.
- Experience designing structures or equipment subject to dynamic loading, blast loading, and UFC Codes is highly desirable.
Experience designing structures or equipment utilizing ANSYS and/or the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership ability. Able to lead a small team of structural engineers and drafters on the structural design of small and large projects.
- Ability to do Project Management or Marketing on small projects is a plus.
- Must have strong time management and organizational skills.
- Due to federal requirements for portions of the assigned work US Citizenship is required.
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
% of Time
- Must be able to sit at a desk for long periods of time (90%)
- Must be able to work at a computer for long periods of time (90%)
- Occasional site visits and travel may require lifting, climbing, crawling in an outdoor environment (15%)
- Special clothing/equipment and other PPE may be required during site visits (15%)
Must be able to lift 50 lbs
Description of Work Environment
% of Time
- Work will mainly be performed in an inside office environment (90%)
- Field work may be required including outside work (15%)
- Travel may be required to perform field work at project sites or to attend customer meetings (15%)
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
% of Time
- Office equipment/machines
- During travel to project sites handheld equipment such as tape measures, cameras, etc (10%)
Office equipment (Computers, fax, telephones, copiers etc.) 90 %
Criticality of Attendance
- Regular attendance is mandatory Monday thru Thur 7:30 am to 5:15 pm & Fri 7:30 to 11:30 am (100%).
- Occasional overtime may be required to meet demanding project schedules (20%)
Other Essential Functions
List other essential functions here.
Must take and pass a pre-employment drug and background test.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws
and [ Link removed ] .
- 3d Model
- Aerospace Industries
- Architectural Drawing
- Automotive Industry