FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
A Transmission Protection Engineer is responsible for performing relay protection functions across FirstEnergy's (FE) transmission and sub-transmission systems. The primary focus is on studying and protecting the transmission and sub-transmission lines, system interconnections, and transmission and sub-transmission substations to ensure reliable operation. For this opening, which exists in our Greensburg, Pa office, the engineer would primarily work on relay protection system designs, setting development and system analyses for those FE assets contained within the service territories of MonPower and Potomac Edison.
- Providing technical support and guidance to develop transmission and sub-transmission infrastructure projects, plans and capital budgets to maintain the reliability and integrity of the FE transmission protection system.
- Developing protective relay design specifications for transmission line and substation projects for use by Design Engineers in developing construction implementation packages. This includes specifying the types of protection schemes to be employed including specific details on relay models and communication architecture, instrument transformer selection, input and output contact assignments, etc.
- Performing timely completion of modeling of the transmission system for short circuit calculation, relay modeling and coordination, breaker duty calculations and fault locating ensuring compliance with NERC, RF and FE protection criteria.
- Developing relay settings for new and existing protection schemes. This involves performing relay setting coordination studies through the use of “time-current coordination” curves, “resistance-reactance” (R-X) diagrams, and step-distance diagrams, as well as the utilization of the short circuit, one-line, coordination graphics, relay checking and system simulator modules of the CAPE (Computer Assisted Protection Engineering) software program.
- Participating in the peer review, electronic issuance, as-left verification and retention of all protection settings through the use of the company’s setting management system - PowerBase
- Performing timely analysis of automatic trippings of the transmission and sub-transmission systems. Gathering and analyzing SCADA alarm data, relay targets, digital fault recorder and relay event records and documents the findings in the ED Outage Analysis (EDOA) system. Following up on incorrect operations with work requests and corrective action plans to field personnel. Documenting findings and status of corrective action plans periodically to FE management and RFC.
- Performing studies related to new load and generation interconnection facilities attaching to the assigned area
- Performing transmission protection activities with the FE operating companies (distribution), other utilities, nonutility generation, the Regional Transmission Organization, and Reliability Councils
- Following established procedures and retaining evidence to support compliance with the various NERC Protection and Control (PRC) Reliability Standards
- Providing staff assistance to management and higher levels of professionals, as needed
- Conducting technical research; Compiling and analyzing moderately complex data; Solving practical problems
- Preparing technical reports and summaries; Making presentations when necessary
- Demonstrating a solid commitment to all aspects of safety
- Meeting customer needs by providing sound service and responsiveness
- Exercising sound decision making by developing alternatives and recommendations to technical work processes
- Supporting FE storm restoration processes including performing assigned field storm roles during significant system disturbances
- Actively seeking formal and informal learning opportunities to better understand departmental procedures
- In field support of complex misoperation investigations and end-to-end testing activities on a very limited basis
- Building relationships and credibility across organization.
- Demonstrating sufficient maturity to exercise independent judgment on moderately complex projects and assignments
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from an ABET accredited institution is required. In lieu of a degree, a Professional Engineer’s (PE) License is required.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- Demonstrated abilities of effective analytical and reasoning capabilities, refined oral and written communication skills, including ability to effectively structure and confidently present information to peers and leadership
- Ability to work independently on assignments that may be broad in nature involving the compilation, preparation, and analysis of various statistical/analytical data, reports, statements, studies, or projects
- Effectively work both independently and in unison with fellow team members
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Business applications including Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word, SharePoint, OneNote and Teams
- Experience with Schweitzer Engineering Laboratory acSELerator QuickSet (SEL-3030), Siemens PSS CAPE, Doble PowerBase, Ruggedcom Crossbow, Ametek Display Station, Softstuf Wavewin and Sun-Net iTOA software considered a plus
- Basic researching skills required
- Ability to read and effectively interpret electrical single lines, three lines, schematics, wiring diagrams, functional diagrams, etc. from a variety of sources
- Desire to continue to learn and grow, work across FirstEnergy, and deliver results
- Ability to deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines
- Self-motivated and a self-starter, customer focused, and results oriented
- Travel, as required. Travel is typically less than 5% of time and seldom involves an overnight stay
- Must live within a 60 minute commute of assigned work location
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Pittsburgh
Electrical, Engineer, Construction, Developer, Engineering, Technology, Research
Microsoft Power Point