To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
2150 Penn Street Northeast
Washington, DC 20002
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Financial Counselor - Cancer Center
George Washington Medical Faculty Associates • Washington, DC
Posted 11 days ago
To provide financial counseling to patients and work closely with reimbursement staff and the business office to ensure timely account follow-up.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Operations and Front End Operations Manager to establish a financial counseling program for patients in the Division of Hematology/Oncology
- Identifies uninsured and underinsured patients prior to the onset of treatment
- Verifies coverage details for potentially underinsured patients, identifying atypical gaps in coverage
- Estimates patients financial obligations to the institution
- Educates patients regarding insurance coverage and out-of-pocket expenses owed to the institution; addresses patient questions and concerns regarding cost of care; notifies physician if patient chooses not to proceed with treatment for financial reasons
- Protects the financial standing of the MFA by determining appropriate payment plans and arranging payment on deposits due
- Review order request prior to authorization to ensure conformity with insurance requirements; notifies physician if authorization is denied.
- Counsels patients who cannot pay according to the payment schedule, determining appropriate internal and external patient assistance programs to contact for additional support
- Ensures and facilitates interdepartmental communication to include, ensuring authorization and financial information is transmitted between nursing personnel, physicians, social worker, and patients; participate in multidisciplinary meetings to address financial needs of patient
- Processes charity and patient assistance program applications for all patients who require assistance
- Tracks patient assistance program applications to determine outcomes and works with the patient to file subsequent applications if necessary
- Submits applications to drug companies for drug replacement; communicates and tracks drug replacement shipments with the assistance of the Oncology Technicians
- Reviews patient accounts regularly to determine if patients with outstanding accounts may require assistance with financial planning or access to financial assistance programs; follows up as necessary.
- Understands and supports the MFA’s values and guiding principles.
- Responds to patients in a friendly, prompt, and caring manner maintaining confidentiality and respect.
- Demonstrates positive behavior toward patients, physicians, and coworkers.
- Promotes mutual respect and professionalism.
- Attention to detail in daily work duties and functions.
- Ability to problem-solve using creativity and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Complies with departmental standards regarding training, professional development, communication, management of workload, and safety/emergency situations.
- Ability to perform job duties at satisfactory levels using Allscripts and all other office programs.
- Associates or Bachelors degree in accounting, business administration or related field, or an equivalent combination of training and experience, is necessary. Certified Coder (CPC or CCS-P) preferred, but will consider if preparing to take the accreditation exam within 12 months.
- Five years of prior billing experience for physician practice required. Similar experience with a Hematology/Oncology practice highly desirable. Must have knowledge of insurance industry, medical terminology, reimbursement and pre-certification. Supervisory experience is required.