AK Steel is seeking a Laboratory Supervisor for our Dearborn Works facility. The Laboratory Supervisor will ensure the quality of our steel by managing material testing throughout the production process.
- Organize and direct the daily activities of the lab. Responsible for supervising lab personnel and for monitoring the testing to ensure it is accurate and timely.
- Administer the Safety Program ensuring employees are being observed contacted, trained and any unsafe conditions are addressed in a timely manner.
- Assure lab data accuracy by monitoring the performance of lab equipment by statistical methods (SPC, GRR) for reporting to internal/external customers. Use the analysis to modify quality control methods as needed.
- Manage the availability of lab equipment by tracking/logging equipment performance, maintaining key spare parts, and administering a maintenance program for instruments.
- Ensure that all employees are following proper procedures as outlined in the quality system.
- Develop, modify, and review job procedures on a scheduled basis.
- Oversee the training and qualification of lab technicians.
- Participate in development of a budget for the laboratory and maintain control of lab costs.
- Perform technical continuous improvement projects, studies and investigations in order to improve the performance of the lab.
- Bachelors degree in a technical field
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving ability
- Ability to take initiative
- Must be willing to work any shift including weekends, and must be available for holidays and overtime
- Experience with laboratory testing and instrument control methods
- Prior supervisory experience of hourly employees
- Good statistical background
- Mechanical/electrical troubleshooting skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: URL blocked - click to apply & URL blocked - click to apply. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment testing as a condition of employment.
Quality Management Systems