UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.
The overarching role of the OptumLabs is to lead, develop and advance innovative healthcare solutions and enable the vision of signal driven healthcare. At OptumLabs we apply business practices to key research solutions for the realization of scalable models that create long-term impact in real-world settings. Teams of 10-15 scientists, engineers, clinicians, and product managers are formed around specific areas of focus. These teams collaborate in formal and informal ways with other parts of UHG and business partners to advance ideas.
We are seeking a Senior Principal Research Scientist with experience in Digital Signals and Digital Therapeutics. You will lead research efforts to develop innovative algorithms that leverage multiple sources of data (e.g., wearables, mobile devices, IoT, natural language, claims) to identify early signals of mental and physical health changes and drive real-time precision interventions. You will work with an interdisciplinary team to apply advanced mobile and edge computing, signal processing and machine learning methodologies in support of novel products for signal generation and health interventions
- Lead research projects in digital signals and therapeutics
- Develop innovative algorithms for leveraging multiple sources of data (e.g., wearables, mobile devices, IoT, natural language, claims) to develop early signals of brain and physical health changes
- Develop and evaluate predictive models on large sensor datasets to help identify patients whose health is declining or improving
- Develop algorithms to analyze, optimize and personalize just-in-time interventions to improve their overall health
- Document research findings thoroughly and maintain well organized code
- Collaborate within cross-disciplinary research teams including business-facing leaders and expert domain scientists. Leads advisory boards and symposia with/for key stakeholders and experts in the field
- Provide recommendations and guidance based on insights gleaned from digital signals and therapeutics
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to a range of audiences. Authors/co-authors papers, posters, proposals, and presentations
- Leverage analytics and challenge the status quo while maintaining a high attention to detail
- Supports projects and initiatives that are of major strategic value to OptumLabs and the whole of the UHG enterprise
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- PhD or MS degree (with equivalent research experience in industry) in Computer Science, Information Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field
- Experience developing Digital Signal based applications or Digital Therapeutics solutions
- In-depth experience with Python and the Python data science libraries (NumPy/SciPy/Pandas/scikit-learn/etc.)
- Experience working with healthcare data or analyzing mobile/wearable/sensor data
- Significant post-PhD research or industry experience
- Experience working with frameworks such as AWS Machine Learning frameworks or Databricks
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as Torch, Theano, or TensorFlow
- Experience with advanced machine learning techniques (e.g., deep learning, multi-task learning, time-series modeling etc.)
- Experience with analysis and visualization of large sequential and time series data sets
- Experience developing, implementing, and iteratively improving recommender systems
- Prior experience presenting work at conferences and writing peer review publications
- Experience in the healthcare industry
- Solid sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
Please note you must currently be eligible to work and remain indefinitely without any restrictions in the country to which you are making an application. Proof will be required to support your application.
For more information on our Internal Job Posting Policy, [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Digital Signals Researcher - Remote
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.