Join our team at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities! ACTS has been setting the standard for excellence in senior retirement living since 1972, with a vision founded in faith and guided by a commitment to integrity and loving kindness.
Under minimal direct supervision, ensures security and safety of the community by patrolling the buildings and grounds and monitoring the gatehouse. Provides support during the evening and night hours to the residents and employees of building services, environmental services, and resident health services.
Essential Job Functions
* Monitors and authorizes entrance and departure of residents, employees, visitors, and other persons to guard against theft and maintain safety and security of the premises.
* Patrols buildings and grounds of community on foot to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensures security of residents and staff by checking the doors, windows and gates. Communicates and documents per established procedures any property damage or other unusual occurrences uncovered during their shift to the supervisor and appropriate management members.
* Performs telephone operator duties as needed, after hours and on weekends.
* Provides support and general assistance to residents as needed including performing welfare checks on residents when warranted.
* Assists nurses on resident calls as requested including the use of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), first aid techniques and an automatic electronic defibrillator (AED). Act as a first respondent in an emergency, lift or carry a resident if required.
* During patrol, monitors and resets controls that regulate building systems such as air conditioning, furnace and boiler as required.
* Ensures safety of all areas of the community to include storage areas, boiler rooms etc and reports or responds to any incidents of hazards and maintenance needs.
* Responds to red alert system and fire alarm according to established procedures.
* Supports building and environmental services departments by assisting with basic maintenance and janitorial tasks. Participates in hazmat clean-up as needed.
* Records incidents in log books.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Critical Skills and Knowledge Necessary
* Effective verbal and written communication skills
* Good observation and problem solving skills
* Ability to communicate in oral and written English
* Familiarity with the use of emergency response systems
* Basic knowledge of computer systems with ability to be trained on medical alert system
* Ability to deal with end of life issues
* If required, valid driver's license
The critical skills and knowledge necessary to successfully perform the essential job functions are normally obtained thru the completion of a high school education or equivalent and/or one to three months experience in the security and/or emergency response fields. CPR, AED and first aid training are required. Certifications can either be completed prior to employment or within the three month introductory period.
* Lift or carry 50+ pounds occasionally - refer to essential job function #5
* Lifting and carrying equipment and/or objects up to 20 pounds if needed
* Walking of at least 90 minutes is required
* Stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling is required
* Reaching frequently at all levels from below knees to above shoulder
* Ability to stand and walk frequently for extended periods up to 90 minutes and frequent use of stairs; may vary based on community size and configuration
* Occasional twisting of both the upper and lower torso
* Ability to respond quickly in emergency or urgent situations
* Manual dexterity to open doors, control valves etc
* Good hearing
* Near visual acuity, far acuity, depth perception, visual accommodation
* Exposure to weather as part of patrolling responsibilities which may include exposure to heat and cold with temperature change, rain, humidity
Potential exposure to bio-hazards and cleaning chemicals
Certified First Responder