Special Instructions Summary
This position is scheduled to start on the 15th of April 2022. Department
INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS ENGINEERIN (BL-ISRS-IUBLA)Department Information
FAMES Lab has an open Process Engineer position in the advanced manufacturing of fiber devices. The Process Engineer will join a dynamic and interdisciplinary team of biomedical, mechanical, and software engineers, device physicists, and material scientists. Job Summary
The Process Engineer will own and maintain equipment and processes related to fiber-devices engineering, including glass lathe, hot press, and 3D printers used for fiber preform fabrication; specialty fiber draw tower used for thermal draw of fibers; and other equipment and processes applicable to manufacturing and optimization of multimaterial fiber devices for electronic and photonic applications, specifically biomedical and quantum-enabling. General Responsibilities:
- Oversees development of processes related to tuning specific applications in high-temperature and fiber-fabrication workflow. Plans sequence of workflow operations and specifies procedures for preparing material and equipment.
- Designs and conducts tests, tools, and measurements throughout stages of project to calculate equipment specifications. Ensures standards of quality, cost, safety, reliability, timeliness, and performance for all equipment and processes.
- Performs custom equipment modifications, automates workflows, engineers processes for research projects, and verifies device functionality across projects such as the draw of individual and multiple semiconducting, metallic, and ceramic cores; sintering of 3D-printed silica; and tapering and capillary breakup setup for axial patterning of silica-clad fibers.
- Collects and analyzes data to inform process development/refinement and equipment modification. Communicates results to staff for use in research and publications.
- Orders parts and software, communicating with vendors as needed. Restocks lab supplies necessary for carrying out established workflows and processes and for operating equipment.
- Maintains operability of equipment and trains staff and students on equipment use.
- Bachelor's degree in physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, material science, or closely related technical field.
WORK EXPERIENCE Required
- 2 years of experience in process development and operation and maintenance of complex automated mechanical equipment.
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
- 3 years of processing and equipment maintenance experience in glass synthesis and fiber-optics manufacturing processes
- Proficient communication skills.
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism.
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills.
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality.
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty.
- Highly thorough and dependable.
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to master processes related to 3D printing, preform sintering, preform fusion and consolidation, and cane and fiber draw. May use equipment such as ExOne Innovent+, AGUS Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS) press, Across International muffle furnace, Optogear Glass Lathe, and Optogear Draw Tower.
Working Conditions / Demands
- Ability to serve as a technical lead of interdisciplinary teams in academic/industrial environments.
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Bloomington, IndianaJob Classification
Career Level: Career
Job Function: Engineering, Trades & Facility
Job Family: Engineering
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Process Development Engineer
or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
- 3 D Printing
- Apache Spark
- Biomedical Engineering