Starting salary: $16.38
[ Link removed ]
General Description and Classification Standards
This position operates garbage trucks, vehicles and other equipment for an assigned department in a safe and effective manner with a valid Georgia Commercial Driverâs License with Class A or B endorsement as appropriate to equipment operated. Duties include, but are not limited to; operating trucks, equipment, performing repairs, and preparing necessary documentation. This is the entry level for this job family. Individuals entering this level must already possess the basic knowledge of the work and the required motor skills and physical capabilities to carry out basic tasks. Typically performs the simplest pertinent tasks, assists higher level workers in more complex jobs, prepares or puts away tools. Position may be part of an apprentice program; position may be classified as an Apprentice if such a program/class exists.
Works under direct supervision and follows standard procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks; may work independently or with other workers with responsibility for completion of assigned tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities - These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Operates dual-drive garbage truck, conventional rear loader garbage truck, MAD VAC, mini-garbage truck, tandem dump truck or open body dump truck in a safe and effective manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life.
- Performs manual work associated with the collection of waste which may include household garbage, trash, yard trimmings, furniture, bedding, animal waste, tires, etc.
- Performs manual work associated with the collection of waste which may require the use of shovels, rakes, brooms, or pitchforks to empty receptacles and pick up yard trimmings.
- Evaluates daily schedule to determine if a midday trip to the landfill is necessary based on the number of houses on the route ensuring the efficient use of time and resources.
- Performs vehicle pre/post-trip inspections which may include duties such as checking oil, tires, and fluid levels of vehicle.
- Maintains and secures all departmental vehicles and equipment as directed by legislation, policies and procedures which may include cleaning, performing minor repairs and/or reporting damages to supervision to ensure equipment is operable in an efficient time frame allowing for operations of daily work details to continue.
- Retrieves scale reports from landfill operators to record and maintain daily records identifying the amount of waste that was transported and dumped.
- Reviews and signs documents such as, work orders, service request forms, attendance records, daily or weekly work reports, employee records, and preventive maintenance records necessary for scheduled maintenance or for warranties.
- Effectively communicates and interacts with management, employees, and members of the general public.
Works under general supervision. Depending on the objective, may work within team or independently with responsibility for an assigned task or project. Follows standardized procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks. Makes independent judgments in absence of supervision.
Typically, none; may provide training to new-hires, temporary or contract workers which may include safety rules, equipment operation, standard operating procedures, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
Knowledge of the safe operating procedures and user maintenance on all equipment operated.
Knowledge of the routes and schedules of operation to meet daily goals for collection.
Skill in operating vehicles, equipment, and tools.
Requires the ability to effectively use written and verbal communication to convey or exchange professional information. Requires the ability to learn and understand subject matter principles and techniques. Must have the physically ability to operate a variety of job related machines at efficiency level requirements. Must be able to perform physical labor as well as move or carry related objects or materials. Requires the ability to use simple mathematical formulas; add and subtract; multiply and divide; determine percentages; and determine or interpret time and weight. Requires the ability to inspect items for proper length, width, and shape. Requires the ability to coordinate body members in using job related equipment. May require the ability to differentiate colors and shades of color. Requires the ability to interact with supervisors and customers beyond giving the receiving instructions.Qualifications
Minimum Qualifications â Education and Experience
High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Six months experience operating heavy trucks or other large equipment.
Preferred Education & Experience
High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and 1 year of equipment operating experience.
Licensures and Certifications
Must possess a valid Georgia Commercial Driverâs License (CDL) with Class A or B endorsement; HAZ MAT certification (desired).
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
The City of Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.
Oil And Gas