The Dental Hygienist is part of the person centered integrated care team and establishes and maintains effective, professional working relationships with patients and their representatives and with dental staff. The Dental Hygienist upholds all guidelines set forth in the clinic, maintains strict patient confidentiality, accepts and upholds patient service and satisfaction. The Dental Hygienist delivers a full range of oral health care services, as licensed in Missouri. The Hygienist will assist the Dental Services Supervisor in maximizing office productivity and the Sr. Director of Dental Operations in providing outreach and education in the community to promote oral health services. Full-time, benefits eligible position.
• Prepare patients for examination and treatment. Take patient’s medical and dental histories, vital signs, and document that information in the patient chart.
• Prepare the operatory with necessary instruments and supplies.
• Instruct patients in proper oral hygiene
• Take and develop dental radiographs
• Document chief complaint, record existing restorations and conditions, assess and record periodontal conditions/pathology
• Provide scaling, polishing and root planning
• Apply fluoride and sealants
• Administer local anesthetic by infiltration and block
• Assist with medical and dental emergencies
• Prepare and maintain supplies and equipment, including sterilization.
• Assist the Dental Services Supervisor in maintaining productivity and assuring smooth patient flow
• All other duties as assigned
• Create oral health presentations appropriate for multiple audiences to include education on proper oral hygiene, nutrition, and the impact oral health has on overall health
• Provide oral health education to community partners and local schools
• Promote and educate community partners regarding available dental services for underserved populations (may require attendance at local community events/meetings in the evenings)
• Follow up with patients to ensure completion of treatment plans and educate regarding the importance of bi-annual preventive services
• Participate in the Missouri Preventive Services Program
• Attend outreach events and provide on-site oral health screenings and refer to the health center for appropriate treatment
• Adhere to standard precautions (use protective barriers and personal protective equipment, handle and dispose of infectious waste appropriately, proper hand washing)
• Follow OSHA regulations, Clinic Exposure Control Plans, and Bloodborne Pathogens Standards
• Understand and follow the needle stick protocol
• Assist in maintaining the cleanliness of unit facilities and equipment.
• Monitor supply of dental stock, dental supplies, and laboratory needs and order supplies when necessary.
• May assist with the supervision of dental hygiene students
• Provide excellent customer service
• Demonstrate respect and regard for the dignity of patients, family, visitors and fellow employees.
• Attend all training as required by Crider Health Center, Accreditors and Funders.
• Meet standards of professional ethical conduct
• Graduate from an accredited dental hygiene program
• 5 years hygiene experience preferred
• Experience in providing community oral health presentations preferred
• Licensed Dental Hygienist in Missouri
• Local Anesthesia Permit for infiltration and block
• Nitrous Oxide Certification, preferred
• Knowledge of Federal, State, and clinic regulations for the provision of outpatient services
• Knowledge of dental office procedures and equipment
• Knowledge of dental terminology and basic computer skills
• Commitment to Service Excellence
• Commitment to Personal Excellence
• Team Oriented and Values Diversity
Compass Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and an E-Verify participant.