This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual assigned to this position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Exhibit Technician (both full-time and part-time positions) is a core member of a team dedicated to ensuring all visitors to the Children's Museum of Houston (CMH) and Fort Bend Children's Discovery Center (FBCDC) have the best possible experience. The Exhibit Technician is part engineer part artist who fabricates, assembles, maintains and installs exhibit components for CMH and FBCDC plus assists to ensure all exhibit components are operating safely and are in good working condition. He/She/They works along with other exhibit staff to determine the most effective and efficient production of one-of-a-kind experiences that ensure a wonderful, whimsical experience for families and a safe and productive working environment. Hours are Monday-Friday, 7-3:30, and some Saturdays. Overtime may be required at times. COVID-19 vaccine is required.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Fabrication and Maintenance
* Review daily maintenance reports and perform daily morning walkthroughs of assigned exhibit spaces and take necessary steps to ensure that it meets the museums standards of operating condition and safety.
* Work to repair, maintain and enhance current exhibits according to museum policies, procedures and approved specifications.
* Work with other Exhibits staff to engineer, fabricate, assemble and install exhibit components for museum permanent and temporary exhibitions.
* Adhere to all exhibit related and other applicable schedules and timelines. This includes ability to manage time effectively to meet tight deadlines
* Work with Manager of Changing Exhibits to install and dismantle temporary exhibits and seasonal changes at both CMH and FBCDC
* Assist in monitoring the control of tools and equipment on a daily basis.
* Work with the Director of Exhibit Design and Production, Director of Exhibit Development and other exhibit staff on exhibit component design, fabrication and maintenance of all exhibits.
* Will require occasional weekend work on a rotating schedule
Quality Control and Safety
* Work with Exhibit staff and other assigned staff to implement 0-defect tolerance procedures according to the established museum policy.
* Work to maintain tool and equipment inventory, order and cleanliness of assigned area within the fabrication shop.
* Maintain fabrication shop in neat and safe order according to OSHA and museum standards.
* Work with outside contractors and volunteers to assure quality control and safety standards as needed.
* Attend mandatory safety and other trainings as required
Please note that duties in addition to the ones listed above may be assigned.
* High School or equivalent degree
* 1-2 years in some aspect of fabrication
* Experience working in a science center and/or children's museum a plus
* Basic fabrication skills (carpentry, electronics, metal-working, etc.)
* Basic MS Office ability
* Valid Texas Drivers' License
* One or more of the following additional experience levels:
* Intermediate fabrication skills (carpentry, electronics, metal-working, etc.)
* Scenic design
* Digital fabrication skills (CNC, laser cutter, etc.)
* Programming/coding skills, esp. Arduino
- Assembly And Installation
- Digital Modeling And Fabrication
- Laser Cutting