Project MUSE is a multi-million dollar electronic database of academic journals in the humanities and social sciences. We produce over 400 academic journals as well as front-list and back-list monographs from over 80 academic publishers. Project MUSE is a division within The Johns Hopkins University Press, one of the largest of the US-based university presses. In continuous operation since 1878, the Press has been and remains a leader in scholarly book, journal, and digital publishing. We are seeking an Electronic Publishing Production Specialist who will work with content from scholarly publications including journals, books and electronic references.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
The position is responsible for:
- PDF quality control
- XML quality control
- Table of Contents quality control
- Special projects as assigned
- Supports content in a variety of Web-based formats including PDF, HTML, multimedia, and XML
- The daily activities of the Production Specialist include assigning eBooks to subject discipline collections as well as PDF creation and manipulation, XML manipulation, Web publishing, troubleshooting production schedules and PDF/XML file editing
- The candidate should be comfortable in a fast-paced production environment with competing priorities while maintaining an excellent attention to detail
Minimum Qualifications: (Mandatory)
- High School Diploma/GED and two years related experience required.
- Bachelors’ Degree preferred
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula*
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Diligent work habits and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, creative problem-solver with an excellent attention to detail
- Must be a team player
- Willingness to learn new applications and follow web standards
- Proficiency in technologies for electronic publishing including Adobe Acrobat
- Proficiency in web publishing technologies including HTML and CSS
- Knowledge of XML
- Knowledge of web standards and web browser capabilities and ability to create cross-browser compliant publications.
- Knowledge of 508 compliance and ADA accessibility standards and tools for both Web page and PDF publishing a plus
- Ability to learn new electronic publishing technologies
*JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Classified Title: Electronic Publishing Production Special
Working Title: Electronic Publishing Production Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: $17.59 - $24.80/hr (high $30k's)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10000138-MUSE Tech Services
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Electronic Publishing Production Specialist. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Electronic Publishing Production Specialist and all other JHU applicants should visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Electronic Publishing Production Specialist.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Electronic Publishing Production Specialist
- Adobe Acrobat
- Attention To Detail
- Creative Problem Solving