JOB SUMMARY / GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
This position is responsible for the dispatch operations in the Transportation Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Other duties may be assigned. A teammate in this position must have the ability to:
* Interpret and monitor compliance for policies, regulations and best practices for the driver population including (logging hours of service regulations, delivery and credit policies, etc.).
* Fill routes based on driver availability daily using the standby and extraboard lists and then develop and update driver and driver helper dispatch schedule daily.
* Provides input on hiring, firing, and performance of a large population of drivers.
* Set up daily tractor/trailer assignments for drivers.
* Provide work direction for a large group of drivers on a daily basis. May be the only person providing direction during certain times.
* Provide daily contact for customers, especially in the evening when customer service is not available. This includes resolving driver/store conflicts.
* Provides guidance for drivers to waiver from company policies or best practices (i.e. a customer wants to make a return outside company policy).
* Prepare daily records, communications, and maintain filing system for Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports and Department of Transportation (DOT) files.
* Complete transportation paperwork including route manifests, invoices, special customer notifications, maps etc.
* Understand DOT hours of service and ensure driver compliance.
* Verify equipment "readiness" with Transportation Shop.
* Call customers to inform them of variances in delivery times.
* Provide timely reports to immediate supervisor as requested.
* Possess very strong interpersonal skills and be able to discuss dispatch issues with drivers, customers and managers.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
A teammate in this position must:
* Have High School Diploma. College degree preferred.
* Be able to rapidly gain knowledge of mainframe computer applications relating to record keeping and scheduling.
* Have experience in Windows environment on Excel, Microsoft Word, and Outlook programs (preferred).
* Have map reading abilities.
* Have effective communication skills.
* Have adequate math and writing skills.
* Have a minimum of 3 years in similar function (preferred).
* The environment encompasses all areas of a Distribution Center, Transportation Department, or Transportation shop.
* Requires night and weekend work as needed.
* Be able to work alone and in group settings.
* This position may require work in hot and cold temperature extremes and exposure to dust, dirt, fumes, noise, potentially harmful chemicals, solvents and components, and working in close proximity to other teammates.
Candidates must pass a background check, drug screen and other job requirements.
McLane is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.