The Housing Specialist for the shelter Establish linkages and maintain solid working relationships with supportive housing providers, real estate brokers, managing agents, and landlords as a resource for consumers. Provide supportive social services including individual and group counseling, workshops, education, referrals, and escorting in an effort to prepare consumers for successfully securing and maintaining permanent housing. Prepare and assist consumers with the housing application/interview process. Provide accurate, complete, and timely documentation of the provision of supportive social services and consumer progression/regression toward the goals of securing permanent affordable housing. Attend housing related DHS meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree in a Human Services field preferred
- A minimum of one to two years of experience working with chronically homeless individuals
- Knowledge in New York City housing strongly preferred
- Good interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication, computer literate including MS Word and Excel and internet
- Driver’s License required
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
SUS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Services for the UnderServed (S:US) believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose. Since 1978, S:US has been turning this belief into reality by advocating for people with life circumstances marked by homelessness, intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health and addiction challenges, poverty, criminal justice involvement, and trauma. Our dedicated workforce of 2,400 provides services and supports to transform the lives of 35,000 individuals and families in New York City and Long Island. Learn more about S:US, our mission, and values by visiting sus.org.
Benefits Overview: We offer attractive compensation with comprehensive benefits including: Medical/Dental/Prescription/Vision/Life Insurance; 403(b); Credit Union; FSAs; Short-and-Long-Term Disability; Transportation Plan; Generous Paid Vacations and Holidays