Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Life Science produces industry-leading data assets, including clinically-robust Electronic Health Record (EHR) data spanning the care continuum, eligibility-controlled affiliate and non-affiliate insurance claims data, a new class of deterministically-linked Integrated EHR and claims data, and linked profile data including socio-economic information and health risk assessments (HRAs). Optum’s data assets enable our clients to enrich their view of the patient and the patient journey through the healthcare system, serving needs across a spectrum of functional areas including real world evidence, health economics and outcomes research, safety and surveillance, epidemiology, and product commercialization.
As a Database Engineer in the Life Science Data Warehouse team, you will be contributing to design, automation, operations and maintenance of a data pipeline integrating clinical and claims data into multiple Life Science products. We have recently modernized and migrated our infrastructure to AWS, so you will get a chance to work on the biggest life science datasets on the market, on one of the most exciting platforms available today. Your closest collaborators will be your LSDW teammates, who are all experienced data engineers and fun to work with. You will also collaborate with other internal teams like analysts and consultants to figure out best solutions for our clients’ requirements; you should be comfortable translating business requirements into technical solutions. We would like you to have mad coding skills and easygoing attitude, and to be comfortable with constant change and ambiguity. We will look to you to drive improvements to existing products and come up with innovative design for new ones.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Design, build and test RedShift/EMR code and underlying AWS infrastructure to support ETL (extract-transform-load) processing in our CI/CD pipeline
- Monitor performance and take corrective action to improve results and reconcile discrepancies between the expectations of the business and the structure of the data
- Collaborate with analytics’ and other teams to determine how current processing methods can be optimized, scaled, and improved
- Provide informed feedback for database design and data model decisions
- Support monthly/weekly data warehouse build process
- Provide code review
- Document database objects, technical design, test plans and other elements
- Be a good team player and comfortable working in a very collaborative team environment
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology or equivalent experience
- Data programming knowledge
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance.
- 1+ years of AWS experience (Redshift or EMR, Glue, Athena, Terraform, Jenkins) or AWS certification
- 1+ years of relational database programming experience (Oracle, SQL Server)
- Healthcare/life science experience
- Experience with clinical and/or claims data
- Solid written and verbal communication
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $66,100 to $118,300. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $72,800 to $129,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.