DNV GL - Energy is seeking for a Team Lead to join our rapidly growing Energy’s Civil Engineering team. Our team is comprised of highly skilled geotechnical, structural and civil engineers charged with ensuring the foundations of the wind and solar industry are consistent with current standards and prepared to operate well into the future of the renewable energy industry. We mitigate risk and are the keystone to helping some of the largest, most technically complex renewable energy projects develop successfully. Our team is engaged, dedicated, focused, and is driving the industry in the application of advanced structural engineering to the wind, solar, and energy storage industry.
We are seeking a Technical Manager for the Civil Engineering team. This person will be an engaging, Customer-facing, motivated leader with demonstrated management experience to lead a world class Civil Engineering team.
At DNV GL, we here for more than just the engineering. What makes us different?
Foundation values and funding, in the private sector. With no shareholders to pay out annually, our profits are recycled into employee profit sharing and innovation. 5% of our revenue every year are invested in research and development, that are accessible to our staff to fund their cutting-edge ideas
Technical rigor and independence. Our customers and the industry at large rely on DNV GL’s impartial insights to navigate current and future technology. At DNV GL, our quality is never compromised by profits or commercial pressures.
Flexibility and autonomy. Our team consistently identifies technical autonomy and personal work hour flexibility as key drivers that keep our retention rates and employee satisfaction high. As our team grows, so do the opportunities to support each other’s work and family life.
Progressive values. Our leadership proactively drives our family- and community-centric culture. Among other annual benefits, every employee is encouraged to utilize a paid volunteer day every year, improving and supporting our communities.
In addition to a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision plan, matching 401(k) and over a month of paid time off annually, how our team collectively influences the world for future generations matters deeply to us. Our team works every day to increase the widespread deployment and operation of renewables to address climate change and positively impact society; endeavors to achieve our purpose through the success of our customers; and strives to be high-performing and innovative. Our approach reflects the equity, respect, and diversity we wish to see in the world.
This position could be based in any of the following offices: Oakland, CA; San Diego, CA, Seattle, WA; Austin, TX; Houston TX; Medford, MA.
Tasks May Include
- Responsibility for growth and profitability of the Civil Engineering Team;
- Develop vision and goals for the civil engineering team, in alignment with broader company Key Performance Indicators (KPIs);
- Develop and incubate nascent service offerings with the civil engineering team members originating directly from the Civil Engineering team (e.g. offshore wind feasibility, concept design, technical advisory and design review; earthquake engineering and seismic risk analysis; repowering services)
- Developing project management skills among the Civil Engineering team members, on complex, multi-service civil engineering projects, interfacing with Customers, maintaining quality from sales through delivery, and delivering on DNV GL’s comprehensive service offerings from pre-feasibility through to decommissioning
- Acting as key account manager and supporting business development for customers within DNV GL’s Civil Engineering team
- Connecting with customers, investors, and designers on a variety of business development, industry alignment, and in the context of project development and financing
- Provide mentoring and coaching to 10-15 individual team members, including regular performance reviews.
- Bachelor of Science –Structural, Geotechnical, or Civil Engineering, or related degree with direct experience managing, hiring teams of designers and/or independent engineers, or working on civil engineering projects
- 5+ years engaging with teams of engineers designing, reviewing, or constructing wind or solar energy foundations and structural support systems
- Working knowledge of PV solar, onshore wind, energy storage engineering design processes, and overall development life cycles (including interrelationships between various development activities)
- Working knowledge of the key interfaces between independent engineers, designers, and investors
- Demonstrated skills in fostering collaboration that yields successfully developed energy projects (virtual, project, academic and other experiences will be considered)
- Must have a proven HSE mindset, be able to use common construction personal protective equipment, walk over uneven terrain, climb ladders.
- Suitable MVR, pass background and drug screening check
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
- Experience in leading a Civil Engineering design team consisting of 5 members or greater;
- Leadership and management experience in a plan check and code compliance role (public sector or consultant);
- P.E. or P.Eng. License in at least one US or Canadian jurisdiction, ability to become licensed in other states and provinces.
- Up to 20% domestic travel (US and Canada), and must also be able to travel internationally.
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Team Lead - Civil Engineering (Wind & Solar) employment conditions apply.
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.comCompany & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!
Coaching And Mentoring