Application Developer/Analyst - Full Stack
The Cowan Systems IT team is seeking a full-stack Application Developer/Analyst at our corporate office located in Halethorpe, Maryland. In this role you will join a small group of developer/analysts who focus on supporting one of several key business areas using the Agile method. This is not a 100% development role, we get involved in solving problems for our customers using existing tools and new software as required. Projects can include developing scripts and web applications, working with vendor software to implement configuration changes and customizations, creating reports or extracts from the MSSQL database, data transformations, and client/server app enhancement. Expect to work directly with management, vendors, others in IT, or independently depending on the circumstances of the project or task. Agile teams are balanced to support the needs of the assigned business unit and make the most of the unique skillsets of each team member.
The qualified candidate will have a minimum of 3 years experience in software development and application support related disciplines. The Application Developer/Analyst reports to the Director of Enterprise Data and Applications.
• Learn business processes and understand how the TMW ERP and related software systems are utilized by your assigned business unit(s).
• Analyze business requirements, design and deploy efficient solutions within the suite of applications available. Collaborate with vendors or internal IT resources as required to deploy system changes.
• Implement, upgrade and configure enterprise-wide and departmental software systems in conjunction with IT and business operations resources.
• Collaborate with team members and business stakeholders to formulate specifications on new applications or features, and translate those specifications into design and development tasks based on the Agile approach.
• Create web-based software applications from requirements and specifications in conjunction with IT and business operations resources.
• Update and maintain existing applications including vendor-supplied off-the-shelf apps, C# websites, VB.NET client/server apps, web services and APIs.
• Create and modify business workflows in web applications, Synergize document management system, Ivanti service desk software, etc.
• Troubleshoot, identify, document and resolve application systems performance problems, errors and security issues and work with vendors and other technical resources as needed to resolve.
• Maintain and troubleshoot SQL code and stored procedures as it relates to application functionality.
• Log break/fix and project related activities in DevOps and Ivanti project management systems.
• Develop and maintain technical documentation.
• Related duties as assigned by management.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience.
• At least 3 years related work experience in software development and support.
• Well versed in structured programming concepts, design and development lifecycle (Agile/Scrum).
• Microsoft Office, Windows desktop and server operating systems.
• Microsoft SQL Server related to development of tables, views, stored procedures.
• Experience in responsive design (eg. HTML5) and Mobile or Web API development
• Strong skills in oral and written communications, organizational and time/task management skills.
• U.S. Citizen.
Skills that are a plus:
• Experience in the trucking/logistics/transportation industry and/or TMW Suite software
• Familiarity with multi-user platforms such as Citrix or Terminal Services, IIS, PowerShell, VBA.
• Configuring document management systems and related business workflows.
About Cowan Systems
Formed in 1924, Cowan Systems is headquartered in Baltimore, MD and enjoys a history of excellence and quality in the transportation business. Today, Cowan’s state-of-the-art fleet has grown to 2,100 power units and 4,500 trailers operating out of 40 locations nationwide. Cowan Systems is privately owned and retains a family atmosphere while growing and adapting to the ever-changing transportation logistics industry.
Our recipe for success is our people, and due to continued growth we are looking to add top talent to our Information Technology team. At Cowan we provide the opportunity to learn, grow professionally, and have a meaningful impact on our business and its people. We run a full data center at our corporate office and utilize a wide variety of technologies both in-house and in the cloud, including Office 365, Citrix, VMWare, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure DevOps, iOS/Android mobile app services, and TMW – a leading transportation management ERP.
The logistics business is fast-paced and complex and requires sophisticated technology to manage fleets, provide accurate and timely information to our customers and business partners, and improve efficiency. We depend on a variety of software and hardware platforms and our own home-grown applications to accomplish these goals. Our IT team plays a key role in supporting our business through innovation, whether that be cloud integration with partner systems, enhancing workflows in existing applications, or making continued improvements to our driver mobile application to make their job easier. Truckload transportation plays a vital role in our nation’s supply chain and now more than ever technology is driving the future. It’s an exciting time to be a part of the transportation industry!
- Extensible Markup Language (Xml)
- Information Security
- Java Script (Programming Language)
- Hyper Text Markup Language (Html)
- C Sharp (Programming Language)
- Cascading Style Sheets (Css)