At WellStar we all share common goals. That’s what makes us so successful – and such an integral part of our communities. We want the same things, for our organization, for our patients, and for our colleagues. As the most integrated healthcare provider in Georgia, this means we pride ourselves on investing in the communities that we serve. We continue to provide innovative care models, focused on improving quality and access to healthcare.
Playing a key role in the organization, the Vice President (VP), Chief Medical Information Officer (CMIO) will
report to the Senior Vice President and Chief Information and Digital Officer (SVP/CIDO). The CMIO will
champion and provide leadership for the on-going development, advancement and optimization of clinical
systems and technology that impact patient care throughout the system and the communities it serves.
The CMIO will be a key leader for the system and a strategic business partner to the SVP/CIDO. This
individual will have executive responsibility for physician engagement, adoption, standardization and
optimization of clinical systems and clinical informatics. The CMIO will have a number of clinical system
support staff and physician champions reporting to position.
In conjunction with the CIDO, the CMIO will formulate governance, address strategic goals and identify
opportunities for enhanced use of clinical information systems and reporting/analysis tools. To that end,
the CMIO will be expected to serve as the system’s primary subject matter expert in the definition of clinical
requirements for systems implementation and adoption for key stakeholder groups. This leader will have
strong partnership for the strategic direction and oversight of clinical technical applications and
Working closely with clinical leadership, the CMIO will provide region-wide clinical leadership to the clinical
community and promote an environment of engagement, and strengthen communication between
physicians, staff, hospital executive teams and leadership. In conjunction with the operational leadership,
the CMIO will ensure that clinical systems implementation, value realization and stakeholder adoption are
in alignment with, and supportive of operational and product line goals and objectives.
This role will be largely dedicated to CMIO duties; however, 35% of time may be permitted for to medical
Required Minimum Education: Medical Doctor (MD)/Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO); board certified in specialty of practice. Advanced Degree in Informatics, Health Care Administration, MBA or a related field is preferred Required
Minimum Licensure/Certification: Active MD/DO license with the State of Georgia with no restrictions. Must have an active BLS certification on the date of position start. Certification in one or more Epic applications preferred.
Required Minimum Experience: Three-five years previous CMIO or similar experience in a multi-hospital integrated delivery system with a broad spectrum of employed specialty physician groups and ancillary services. Significant experience with the implementation and operation of Epic is required in a physician/executive leadership role as a CMIO or similar role within a multi-hospital, integrated medical group, delivery network. Previous experience in developing clinical performance measurement tools such as balanced scorecards, dashboards and real-time Key Performance indicators. Demonstrated success in using Lean, Six Sigma, PDSA cycle or other equivalent quality improvement processes and experience in project management to implement industry best practices
Required Minimum Skills: • Analytical ability to conceptualize well in unstructured, dynamic, and/or multidisciplinary environments requiring analysis, foresight, intuition, critical thinking skills and mature judgment as well as a thorough knowledge of fundamental doctrines, theories, principles, and practices of several disciplines to find solutions to unusual or unprecedented problems. Competence with Epic required, with other clinical systems and previous experience in the implementation and support of a large-scale implementation a plus.
• Strong understanding of clinical workflow in inpatient, emergency department and outpatient settings, has a strong understanding of clinical information systems as well as outcomes measurement
• Ability to effectively lead multidisciplinary teams of clinicians and to lead in a highly matrixed, collaborative organizational environment
• Deep, demonstrable knowledge of the current state of healthcare reform, applicable regulatory requirements and current and emerging best practices relative to those areas
• Highly motivated, results oriented team player who can rapidly mobilize, motivate and organize a diverse group of stakeholders to drive value realization from WellStar's investments made in core clinical systems
• Politically astute with demonstrated diplomacy and leadership capability as a physician leader
• Confident and capable of making and executing challenging decisions
• An excellent listener who exudes credibility and can translate clinical feedback to the IT team
• Understands the business environment including business intelligence
• Passion for evidence-based best practices in the delivery of patient care
• Self-direct and self-motivate others to achieve system’s vision and goals
• A process thinker who can see the big picture
• Ability to rapidly mobilize innovation and technology in the clinical space to transform patient experience
• Highly-developed communication skills, excellent public speaking and presentation skills
• Possess humility and a high level of integrity and be trustworthy