Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Local Planning Specialist at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you’ll support the regulatory requirements of SCE’s electrical distribution system by developing and designing plans, identifying necessary resources and providing cost estimates and options for the construction of distribution facilities.
As a Local Planning Specialist, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Coordinate activities with other internal personnel and/or organizations to ensure compliance and appropriate follow-through of policies, procedures, rules, rates, and completion dates applicable to his/her assigned projects.
- Interact with a diverse customer base on meeting electrical design needs and is responsible for providing successful outcomes for the customer and SCE on assigned or requested projects.
- Prioritize work orders through the entire process and taking accountability for customer satisfaction.
- Maintain a current understanding of industry practices, standards and customer needs.
- Apply construction standards including utilizing tariffs and resource books.
- Identify and acquire permits, easements, and environmental requirements coordinating required project components with other departments, customers, governmental bodies, and various external sources.
- Coordinate numerous design projects from inception to construction completion.
- Perform meter spots and related design work.
- Support system emergencies as they arise.
- Maintain a safety conscious work environment.
- Perform other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- One or more years of experience in Electrical Utility Distribution Design, Transmission Design, Distribution Line construction, or Electrical Engineering discipline OR be a successful graduate from Service Planner Development Program (SPDP).
- Possess a valid U.S. Driver License.
- Knowledge of engineering principles, construction standards, and industry practices.
- Experience in SCE systems such as DM, SAP, AUD, CSRP, SpidaCalc, SpidaMin and knowledge of engineering principles, construction standards, and industry practices such as using resource books and Overhead and Underground Construction Manuals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Developed and designed electrical distribution plans, identifying vital resources and providing cost estimates.
- Training or education applying technical information related to engineering, drafting, architecture, construction, mapping, design, mechanics, mathematics, science or computers.
- Gathered and analyzed information and make sound decisions independently and in consideration of applicable policies and procedures.
- Experience working with computer aided design software (i.e. Auto CAD)
- Successful completion of Electrical Utility Planner Certification Program (from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona), AutoCAD, or similar programs.
- Occasional lifting of typically less than 40lbs.
- Work in various weather conditions. Possibly even in remote regions – the coast, desert, mountains across California
You should know …
Work Mode: When a return-to-office date has been determined, this position’s work mode is hybrid. The employee will report to an SCE facility for a set number of days with the option to work remotely on the remaining days. Unless otherwise noted, employees are required to reside in the state of California. Further details of this work mode will be discussed at the interview stage.
- Visit our [ Link removed ] to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and hiring process, and more!
- Position may require up to 25% traveling and being out in the field throughout the SCE service territory.
- Relocation does not apply to this position.
- This position requires testing and applicants who are identified to continue through the selection process will be invited to test via email. We invite you to visit our Candidate Resource page for further information and to access information guides. For[ Link removed ] , please reference tests (EEI Tech Test #5107) and (Edison Individual Workstyles #8203). Candidates who have previously passed these assessment(s), in some cases, may not need to retest again for this position.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at
- Auto Cad
- Cost Modelling
- Customer Demand Planning